Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Resources wanted ? — Parallax Forums

Resources wanted ?

Hi everyone!

I'm compiling a list of resources / drivers / examples / app notes / etc.. customers would like to find at the Parallax site.

Appreciate any ideas you could suggest or request here, for either P1 or P2.

The P2 list starts with:

• microSD FAT drivers
  • USB drivers

Comments

• MicksterMickster Posts: 2,681

@VonSzarvas
    If I understand correctly (still on coffee #1 :) )

I would like examples and app notes covering the counters.

• Quadrature encoder reading for motors, etc. I'm already doing this but...
    • How do I use the mode where I read the difference from one read to the next
    • How do I read pulse/direction. For example; many controllers output pulse & direction to stepper-motor drivers but I want to accumulate these counts to use as a position command
    • How do I output pulse & direction. Is there a smartpin mode to output a specified number of pulses in a positive/negative direction or do we use a coded procedure

Craig

• @Mickster said:
    @VonSzarvas
    If I understand correctly (still on coffee #1 :) )

I would like examples and app notes covering the counters.

Perfect. There is work afoot to enrich these sorts of resources. Counters a great suggestion; now added to the list.
    Thanks.

• MicksterMickster Posts: 2,681

DACs. We have 16-bit (dithered)?

• Pros and cons of real DAC vs filtered PWM
    • I use +/-10V motor command. How can I achieve +/-16-bit as opposed to +/-15-bit

Craig

• @Mickster said:

• How do I output pulse & direction. Is there a smartpin mode to output a specified number of pulses in a positive/negative direction or do we use a coded procedure

I have a driver for this. I think it's performance is absolutely state of the art (multiple axes per cog, sub-step resolution with very little jitter, setup-time violation avoidance, anti-jerk filter included...) but the drawback is that the code is much too complicated to serve as an easy-to-understand example. But it's a possible candidate for OBEX or the live forum.

• @VonSzarvas said:
    I'm compiling a list of resources / drivers / examples / app notes / etc.. customers would like to find at the Parallax site.

Yes ;) , I still vote for finishing the P2 Assembler Manual. The P1 manual was absolutely exemplary with examples for every instruction, purpose and special cases explained. It was such a great reference. The current P2 manual is a good starting point but it's still missing some of the instructions. Ada's online reference has some additional instructions explained but still not all of them.

• VonSzarvasVonSzarvas Posts: 3,412
    edited 2024-10-08 10:55

@ManAtWork said:
    I have a driver for this. I think it's performance is absolutely state of the art (multiple axes per cog, sub-step resolution with very little jitter, setup-time violation avoidance, anti-jerk filter included...) but the drawback is that the code is much too complicated to serve as an easy-to-understand example. But it's a possible candidate for OBEX or the live forum.

That would be great to see at P2LF- I really appreciated your previous Flight Sim demo and explanations.
    @"Ken Gracey" - Is there space in the next or following P2LF ?

• @VonSzarvas said:
    That would be great to see at P2LF- I really appreciated your previous Flight Sim demo and explanations.
    @"Ken Gracey" - Is there space in the next or following P2LF ?

Unfortunatelly, time is running short. The next P2LF is already this evening. I think it would be good to shift the pulse&direction topic to the next one in November. This way I could explain the background in more detail.

• Beau SchwabeBeau Schwabe Posts: 6,563
    edited 2024-10-10 07:35

Removed

• Finishing the assembler manual should be top priority. Then comes finishing the datasheet. Smart pin modes, streamer, interrupts need more examples.

• My vote would go to the completed Propeller 2 Spin Manual. An update to the Propeller Education Kit Labs for the P2 would be awesome.

• bob_g4bbybob_g4bby Posts: 405
    edited 2024-10-15 11:08

I would vote for the assembler manual with example code highlighting efficient techniques. It's a largish instruction set, some of the instructions are a puzzle taken out of context. For the newcomer, he's always asking himself "I want to code this action next, so what assembly language snippet will do that. I'll see what the assembly manual gives me as a hint. So a manual with a well set up contents sidebar, fully hyperlinked makes all the difference. My Taqoz glossary of words attempts that with instructions grouped by function - Stack, Maths, Logic, Smartpin ctrl, etc.