fini=getus()

print c

print "execution: "; (fini-strt)

execution: 4001

Is the "b^2" not the correct syntax?

Craig

Comments

• ersmithersmith Posts: 6,030

"b^2" is the correct syntax, but it's a floating point operator, so it converts its operands to float. That's why it's much slower than integer multiplication.

• MicksterMickster Posts: 2,681

@ersmith said:
    "b^2" is the correct syntax, but it's a floating point operator, so it converts its operands to float. That's why it's much slower than integer multiplication.

Hi Eric,

My other tests seem to indicate that integers multiply five times faster than floats but here we are talking twenty-eight times(?)
    Is it the converting that makes the huge difference?

Regards,

Craig

• ersmithersmith Posts: 6,030

@Mickster said:
    My other tests seem to indicate that integers multiply five times faster than floats but here we are talking twenty-eight times(?)

Exponentiation isn't just multiplication, it also has to handle fractional exponents (like 0.5 for square root). So it's actually fairly messy.
    We could probably try to optimize some common cases, but on the other hand it's fairly easy for the programmer to do that too.

• MicksterMickster Posts: 2,681
    edited 2024-09-26 14:49

@ersmith said:

@Mickster said:

Exponentiation isn't just multiplication, it also has to handle fractional exponents (like 0.5 for square root). So it's actually fairly messy.
    We could probably try to optimize some common cases, but on the other hand it's fairly easy for the programmer to do that too.

Oh it's not a problem now that I know that it's not a bug. I just assumed that b^2 would be more efficient than b*b but then again, this is why I'm testing everything that I do.
    Such a joy to use FlexBasic :+1:

Thanks Eric.

Craig