Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Raspi Pico2 - Why the Risc-V Cores? — Parallax Forums

Raspi Pico2 - Why the Risc-V Cores?

Hi,
Raspberry have now made the Pico2 with RP2350 Chip. https://datasheets.raspberrypi.com/rp2350/rp2350-datasheet.pdf
They have given it two pairs of different cores 2ARM M33 and 2 Risc V. As far as I can see, the ARM cores are more powerful with floating point support. You must decide, if you want to use ARM or Risc V. I must say, that I am at a total loss, about the Risc V cores. Why on earth would someone want to use them, if they have the choice?
Cheers Christof

Comments

• jmgjmg Posts: 15,168

Marketing and a toe in the water ?

• JonnyMacJonnyMac Posts: 9,077

Maybe its a way for them to move away from Arm cores and the licensing that comes with them? I saw are online presentation that the Risc-V core they're using was designed by one of their employees.

• evanhevanh Posts: 15,782

@JonnyMac said:
    ... I saw are online presentation that the Risc-V core they're using was designed by one of their employees.

Maybe educational. For them and their users. Everyone gets to dabble.

• MicksterMickster Posts: 2,686

@"Christof Eb." said:

You must decide, if you want to use ARM or Risc V.

It has been claimed that an ARM core and a RISC V can be used. Dunno if this is the case.

Overclocked to 378MHz (RP2350 on left, 2040 on right)

• pik33pik33 Posts: 2,366

They will have millions of beta-testers of this Risc-V core. I think they will switch to Risc-V architecture in the future, including big RPis.

• MicksterMickster Posts: 2,686

@pik33 said:
    They will have millions of beta-testers of this Risc-V core. I think they will switch to Risc-V architecture in the future, including big RPis.

No FPU though.

Craig

• pik33pik33 Posts: 2,366

@Mickster said:

@pik33 said:

No FPU though.

Craig

Yet.

• Rics-V has instruction modules for floating point that they could add on later if they drop arm. If they go Risc-V for the big RPis they'll probably use the 64bit version along with the FP instruction modules and maybe the "in development" GPU module.
    One nice thing about the modular design is that they can scale up or down based on needs/target.