Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
CAN FD — Parallax Forums

CAN FD

Has anyone implemented the CAN FD protocol on the P1 (or P2)? If so, how fast can it go?

Comments

• ChrisGaddChrisGadd Posts: 306
    edited 2024-07-10 19:29

I was working on the FD protocol on the P2 a few years ago before I got distracted with something else. I managed to get it somewhat working up to 5Mbps with a 320MHz clock, though I there were issues with certain combinations of nominal and data bitrates and clkfreqs.

I wouldn't count on the P1 to be able to handle it at all; I barely managed to get a classic CANbus object working at 500Kbps on a single cog, 1Mbps required 2 cogs, and the FD protocol adds a lot of more overhead.

Best bet would be to use a mcp2517, which I've made drivers for both the P1 and P2.

• Thanks! Is your code available in the OBEX?

• Curious what it was about CANbus that attracts you?

For us, it was the robustness of the hardware level communication used in the automotive industry.
    Our primary use now is a variation we have adopted for bitcoin and data center communications.

I once lost a job interview because I did not know how many nodes you could connect to CANbus....
    Since then? ...the company that I work for now... Born out of COVID and supply chain shortages, we have created a variation of CANbus based on an industrial 24V system that can handle 1000 addressable nodes using easy to find off the shelf components at speeds of up to 2Mbps.

• GenetixGenetix Posts: 1,747

Beau,

The medical device I am working with uses CAN for the motor controllers.