Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Spin2 Structures used as multidimensional arrays? — Parallax Forums

Spin2 Structures used as multidimensional arrays?

Can spin2 structures be used as multidimensional arrays? I had it in my mind that they could be, but when I dug into the syntax, that may not be the case.

BTW, reading through the current version of the Spin2 Document, I see so many things that I have ignored or didn't know about. Enumerated constants and comma-separated declarations are really cool.

Comments

• JonnyMacJonnyMac Posts: 9,003
    edited 2024-06-30 18:04

Can spin2 structures be used as multidimensional arrays? I had it in my mind that they could be, but when I dug into the syntax, that may not be the case.

I wouldn't think so, and you may want to hold off on P2 structures until Chip and the other compiler writers finalize implementation.

Enumerated constants and comma-separated declarations are really cool.

Agreed. In may game device programs I use them to define states.

#0, #GS_PREGAME, #GS_PLAY, #GS_GAMEOVER

My main() method is often as simple as

pub main()

repeat
        case gameState
          GS_PREGAME  : pre_game()
          GS_PLAY     : run_game()
          GS_GAMEOVER : end_game()
          other       : pre_game()  

Of course, gameState is a global variable so it can be modified as required by any active state.

• ke4pjwke4pjw Posts: 1,115

Thanks Jon! I believe I have made a workaround, as the array that I am attempting to enumerate is simple.

• JonnyMacJonnyMac Posts: 9,003
    edited 2024-07-01 00:33

Since clarity is a big driver of how I write code you might consider access methods. As the king of simple code, I've done things like this:

con

ROWS = 5
      COLS = 5

var  

byte  array[ROWS * COLS]

Then use methods that are this simple. Using a method adds a bit of overhead, but provides a lot of clarity.

pub wr_array(value, r, c)

byte[@array+(r*COLS)+c] := value

pub rd_array(r, c) : value

value := byte[@array+(r*COLS)+c]

• ke4pjwke4pjw Posts: 1,115

That's exactly what I did, except I didn't make it generic. There is only one multidimensional array and it has 12 columns.

PRI codeword_parameters(row,column) : r
      return codeword_parameters_array[(row*12) + column]

• msrobotsmsrobots Posts: 3,709

i remember chip using square brackets on each level in his demo, but not not how to declare them