Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
P8X32A Emulation on Tang20K FPGA — Parallax Forums

P8X32A Emulation on Tang20K FPGA

I came across a newer, low-cost FPGA called the Tang20K. I'm wondering if anyone has experience with it and the feasibility of running P8X32A emulation on this platform. Parallax has provided the Verilog files, but I'm unfamiliar with Verilog or hardware coding in general.

My question is: what steps would be necessary to get the Propeller 1 running on the Tang20K (if possible at all)? I'm interested in pursuing this because I'd like to explore options for increasing the Propeller 1's processing power, such as expanding hub RAM or adding more cogs.

Comments

• jmgjmg Posts: 15,148

parts look ok, but google finds this

https://www.reddit.com/r/GowinFPGA/comments/zvkswc/tang_nano_20k_announced/

Nice board, with MS5351 clock generator. (unsure how they configure that ?)

and this
    https://github.com/juj/gowin_flipflop_drainer
    suggests GOWIN FPGAs may not be able to cope with too many clocked registers - node changes ? (too much supply bounce ?)
    A MCU design like P1, should have a low change-node count, but it suggests having another platform you know is good would be useful here.

• @ti85 said:
    I came across a newer, low-cost FPGA called the Tang20K. I'm wondering if anyone has experience with it and the feasibility of running P8X32A emulation on this platform. Parallax has provided the Verilog files, but I'm unfamiliar with Verilog or hardware coding in general.

My question is: what steps would be necessary to get the Propeller 1 running on the Tang20K (if possible at all)? I'm interested in pursuing this because I'd like to explore options for increasing the Propeller 1's processing power, such as expanding hub RAM or adding more cogs.

I had been looking for low cost FPGA boards for a while now. During covid they seemed to have vanished. It is great, that there are now these possibilities. So I have bought Tang Nano20k now and am trying to learn....

It would be interesting to know the number of lut4 needed for a full P1? Or an estimation?

Christof