Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Flash Filesystem and the Edge SD socket — Parallax Forums

Flash Filesystem and the Edge SD socket

VonSzarvasVonSzarvas Posts: 3,339
edited 2024-02-10 13:54 in Propeller 2

Hi all !

With the arrival of the Flash Filesystem, is there any sense to look at moving the Edge on-board SD card onto it's own group of pins, so that files could potentially read/write simultaneously between the devices ? This might as well include hooking in all DAT pins, even if the extra (4-bit) 2 might not be used so often. (Though it might be nice to keep the DAT pin order consecutive... so that leads to the next question...)

Is there any collective preference of which IO pins an on-board SD card might consume? And should the extra 2 DAT pins share with the on-board LEDs if the DAT-to-SmartPin order need not be strict?

And if all that happened, would having a power-cycle signal still be necessary- and if so, then which would be the preferred IO pin for that function ?

Note: I'd expect with such a change we'd want to ensure the DipSwitch settings still allow the ability to boot either from SD or Flash. (Don't think about that for now).

Note2: Maybe a power-cycle (or power-down) could be accomplished by holding the SD card pins in a certain state, to save having an additional pin for that function. Or wire in the card detect pin to an IO, and then use that as a power-down function when asserted low, or as an input to detect the card.

Comments

• RaymanRayman Posts: 14,161

For ones with PSRAM can that be used as intermediary?

edited 2024-02-10 14:31

For the other, they way it is on my SimpleP2 board seems to work well…

'Simple1 SD Card Rev3
        MISO  = 54
        MOSI  = 56
        CS    = 57
        CLK   = 55

• @Rayman said:
    For ones with PSRAM can that be used as intermediary?

sure could- at a cost of delay & code overhead

• VonSzarvasVonSzarvas Posts: 3,339
    edited 2024-02-10 14:57

Save anyone looking these up....

P2 IO   System  Flash   SD-Card                 P2-EC Edge Module - Reserved Pins
    ===============================
    63      RXD
    62      TXD
    61              CS      CLK
    60              CLK     CS
    59              DI      MOSI
    58              DO      MISO
    57      LED
    56      LED

P2 IO   System  Flash   SD-Card     PSRAM       P2-EC32MB Edge Module - Reserved Pins   
    =========================================
    63      RXD
    62      TXD
    61              CS      CLK
    60              CLK     CS
    59              DI      MOSI
    58              DO      MISO
    57                                  CE
    56                                  SCLK
    55..40                              SIO0..3 (x4 banks)
    39      LED
    38      LED

EC32 has memory bus where my uSD is I think…

edited 2024-02-10 15:03

I seem to recall the flash and psram driver (Chip’s) having very small footprints..

But I guess you’d have to flip switches to transfer between usd and flash via psram?

• @Rayman said:
    But I guess you’d have to flip switches to transfer between usd and flash via psram?

You'd need to enable Flash, that's all.

BTW.. There's another option, just to separate CS. Of course doing that would lead to thoughts about having both CLK's on the same pin; alas that ship sailed :)

• I think there isn't actually a problem using both together? I think one of the guys figured out how you have to do it to prevent issues. Of course they can't be used in true parallel if they share any pins.

• ke4pjwke4pjw Posts: 1,115
    edited 2024-02-10 16:48

Does this mean the next Edge will no longer be bootable by SD? It would be a shame and a setback to lose that. It works so damn good. I have a stack of Edges that I have never even programmed or used the flash on, because I can do boot and use storage off of SD.

• @ke4pjw said:
    Does this mean the next Edge will no longer be bootable by SD?

No- it doesn't mean that, don't worry !

Note: I'd expect with such a change we'd want to ensure the DipSwitch settings still allow the ability to boot either from SD or Flash. (Don't think about that for now).

edited 2024-02-10 17:08

@Wuerfel_21 said:
    I think there isn't actually a problem using both together? I think one of the guys figured out how you have to do it to prevent issues. Of course they can't be used in true parallel if they share any pins.

Do you (or anyone) know which part was blocking things? I guess either Flash or SD was getting into a state that was holding a pin high?

So if that part could be reset consistently, then yeah, all should be well. That would be good.

If it's the SD card, I guess it's not as simple as doing a reset?... Else this whole topic would never have been "a thing" :)

To reset the SD card and set SPI mode:
    - Set both MOSI and CS high, and toggle CLK for at least 74 cycles. 
    - After the 74 (or more) cycles have occurred, set CS low and send CMD0: 01 000000 00000000 00000000 00000000 00000000 1001010 1

The SD card will respond to the reset command by sending a basic 8-bit response on the MISO line. 
    The first bit of the response is always a 0; the other bits specify any errors that may have occurred when processing the command. 
    If the command was successfully received, the response will be: 00000001

• Having a means of getting at the additional DAT pins would be nice, but you can't do it without moving the PSRAM pins (since the data pins need to be able to have CLK as their B input). At that point it'd be a completely different and incompatible thing. Or you duplicate all the SD pins elsewhere, but then, why not just use an external socket... All very difficult.

• @Wuerfel_21 said:
    ... they can't be used in true parallel if they share any pins.

And I'm not sure I mind that. Arguably, I think of the two scenarios, far more important to allow parallel access to SD and PSRAM, instead of SD and Flash.

edited 2024-02-10 17:33

@Wuerfel_21 said:
    ...but then, why not just use an external socket... All very difficult.

Ultimate simplicity would be a single accessory that maps all SD DAT pins, has a power-cycle function, and losslessly buffers P58 (DO..MISO). Plug into programming port for SD booting, or any other port for conflict-free bulk storage.

The SD socket on the Edge modules then becomes redundant for customers willing to buy the accessory - that space on the module could be swapped to a BLE module. :)

• no, I'm not serious... I know such suggestions will summon all manner of fire and chaos! And anyway, the accessory could never sell for the cost of it, so unlikely to happen. Maybe there's some other 4-bit SD breakout out there, that would fit into one of the P2 mini-proto accessory blank boards.
  • @VonSzarvas said:

@Wuerfel_21 said:
    I think there isn't actually a problem using both together? I think one of the guys figured out how you have to do it to prevent issues. Of course they can't be used in true parallel if they share any pins.

Do you (or anyone) know which part was blocking things? I guess either Flash or SD was getting into a state that was holding a pin high?

I want to say @evanh was working on this

@VonSzarvas said:

@Wuerfel_21 said:
    ... they can't be used in true parallel if they share any pins.

And I'm not sure I mind that. Arguably, I think of the two scenarios, far more important to allow parallel access to SD and PSRAM, instead of SD and Flash.

Certainly!

Or maybe just get rid of the flash/SD dichotomy... They make "SD NAND" now, which is just an SD card in an 8-pin package. Downside is that you can't really take that to your computer. And Chip will be sad after investing so much in flash wear levelling.

• roglohrogloh Posts: 5,284
    edited 2024-02-10 23:03

@VonSzarvas said:
    ... Maybe there's some other 4-bit SD breakout out there, that would fit into one of the P2 mini-proto accessory blank boards.

Sure, take a look here. My schematic worked although the pFET choice was a little on the low power side and could potentially be beefed up in a better implementation. Also provided LEDs and power on/off control plus card detection with its full 8 pins. Seemed to still work out ok for the few cards I used and @evanh and I saw some very fast performance in 4 bit modes in some initial read tests...

https://forums.parallax.com/discussion/174988/new-sd-mode-p2-accessory-board/p1

It doesn't address your pin sharing thing though, as it was designed only an accessory board and as such you can't necessarily boot from it directly, although you could boot from flash first then via this board if you really needed to. It needed a mod to evanh's optimized SPI code to allow pin spacing in 1 bit mode to still work in flexspin, hopefully that made it into the main line of code by now, not sure.

• evanhevanh Posts: 15,423
    edited 2024-02-11 03:40

@VonSzarvas said:

To reset the SD card and set SPI mode:
    - Set both MOSI and CS high, and toggle CLK for at least 74 cycles. 
    - After the 74 (or more) cycles have occurred, set CS low and send CMD0: 01 000000 00000000 00000000 00000000 00000000 1001010 1

The SD card will respond to the reset command by sending a basic 8-bit response on the MISO line. 
    The first bit of the response is always a 0; the other bits specify any errors that may have occurred when processing the command. 
    If the command was successfully received, the response will be: 00000001

That is not an available option in the case of a reset and reboot since the ROM code needs to detect the soft pull-up of any SD card presence before it'll attempt any SD ops.

What actually seems to work reliably is a combo of two practices in the SD driver code:

• Use SPI cmode 3 (CPOL=1, CPHA=1) so that clean shared sequencing of the CS and CLK lines occurs.
    • Always terminate every SD response with eight extra clocks to ensure the SD card always releases the bus back to idle state when not in use.

Both are needed for shared access to an EEPROM anyway. It just happens they also leave the SD card in the right state for a rebooted ROM code to detect SD card presence, which will then issue its own CMD0.

PS: The official SD docs also state, in case the SD card is not back to idle, a power control switch be used to power cycle the SD card during card detect sequencing. Obviously this would demand an extra control pin from the Propeller. Roger has this feature on his add-on board since there is eight pins allotted to those.

PPS: One of the limits of the shared pins arrangement is Parallax has added an inline current limit resistor to the MISO (DAT0) pin of the SD card slot. This caps max data rate to around the spec'd 25 MHz of high speed mode. Otherwise, SD cards seem to be happy to overclock a long way (> 100 MHz), even in SPI mode.

• Following.

please just "yes", "no", "not exactly"

Are these sentences correct?,

1. "if wanting to boot from SD, the P2 expects the SD card to be on specific pins which are also the same pins used for Flash."

2."during a copy data from the SD card to the flash or vise versa; the data flow is constantly being interrupted due to changing which part controlls the DO line"

3." If the DO line for Flash was different than that of SD card, would the data rate be significantly be faster"

My thinking if my assumption of how data is read from the SD card is "block by block read". is that sentence 3 would not be true because of still needing to write to the SD controller to request each data block; which would also interrupt the SD controller from sending data to the Flash. If the pins were sepperated would the data rate be hugely improved or not really by much if at all given that the same block read commands still need to happen. If data is sequentially read from the SD card, the read commands still need to be sent to the SD controller. I am wondering which is faster the P2 or the SD cards own controller

• roglohrogloh Posts: 5,284
    edited 2024-02-11 02:44
    1. yes, unless you first boot from flash and this flash code is designed to secondary boot off SD from other pins. i.e. an indirect SD boot.
    2. yes, for same pins you'd need to alternate accesses and some suitable sector/block boundary for your transfers. if different pins, then you could streamline the transfer and potentially overlap in time depending on approach taken and number of COGs etc.
    3. depends on how the code is written and whether you can do two things at once on the different pins. If you can overlap transfers in a COG for example using the streamer on one interface and bit bang or use Smartpins for the other I expect it could potentially be faster yes. EDIT: this is assuming other control pins are separate too, not just DO.
  • evanhevanh Posts: 15,423
    edited 2024-02-11 03:54

For answer #3, yes, it is possible to operate concurrently. But as Roger says, you'll be needing to write the code to do it that way. Eg: Since the driver code is just direct functions that hit the hardware, you'll need to start a fresh cog for your code calling to the second device. This way both routines can transfer to/from respective hardware concurrently without worrying about trying to time slice the tasks.