Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Alternative Oscillators to TG2520SMN — Parallax Forums

Alternative Oscillators to TG2520SMN

In the P2 Edge Schematic the Oscillator is a TG2520SMN

It is tiny and hard to hand solder,.

Is it ok to use a typical 20Mhz Xtal with a couple of caps, if so what value the caps should be.

Or a recommendation for an alternative easier to solder package.

Comments

• Yea, normal crystal is fine. Older boards use one. However, high-speed digital signals on the 28..31 pin group can disturb the oscillator circuit. There's more detailed info buried here in the forum about this.

• RaymanRayman Posts: 13,912

Believe that oscillator issue was unique to the Eval board. Had a questionable layout around the crystal…

Btw you don’t need caps at xtal with p1 or p2

• LMSLMS Posts: 19

Thank you for the replies.

• evanhevanh Posts: 15,202
    edited 2024-01-14 23:13

I recently hand soldered my first surface mount board, and I mean each component one at a time. The oscillator module did pose a small learning challenge but the biggest takeaway I've learnt is, when not using solder paste, always pre-tin every pad on the board and every contact on the components. Then when soldering the component to the board there is no chance of a dry joint.

When it came to the oscillator, the four rigid underside contacts meant it wasn't possible to directly apply heat to the joins. Instead the metal top of the package was suitable. I just blobbed it so that all four joints melted at once. With a little poking from a screwdriver I could move the package into place while the iron was keeping it hot. The only obvious down side is the top of the oscillator is now coated in solder.

• RaymanRayman Posts: 13,912

One way is to solder the pads then put no clean flux on top and use heat gun.
    Works very well.