Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
microbit battery case — Parallax Forums

microbit battery case

I got my micro:bit package today, and the first obstacle, how do open the battery case. I guess it is child proof and senior adult proof. I was going to use a knife to pry it open, but I will wait for some instruction.

Ray

Comments

• Do these images help? Looks like it might be a slide out lid.

Maybe check for any stock-code-stickers or clear tape on the side that might be preventing you from opening it.

• Thanks for the pictures. It is a slider, mine I think, was sort of jammed on. I used your suggestion, while felling around for tape, the top part just popped off. After inserting the batteries and sliding the cover back on, it clicked on. Now, using the thumb, and pushing forward it over comes the click and it opens up. I am glad I did not use the knife or a large screw driver, it would been a mess.

Ray

• RsadeikaRsadeika Posts: 3,824

I have not used the battery pack with the microbit yet. Since it came with two alkaline 1.5 batteries, I can see where it can deliver the 3V . Has anybody tried using NIMH rechargeable batteries? I think those batteries charge up to 1.3V, would that be enough to power the microbit.

Ray

• basket random said:
    I have not used the battery pack with the microbit yet. Since it came with two alkaline 1.5 batteries, I can see where it can deliver the 3V . Has anybody tried using NIMH rechargeable batteries? I think those batteries charge up to 1.3V, would that be enough to power the microbit.

Ray

NiMH batteries are typically 1.2V each when fully charged. Two NiMH batteries in series would provide 2.4V, which is slightly lower than the recommended 3V. In some cases, the micro:bit might still function with 2.4V from NiMH batteries, especially for basic programs. However, it's not guaranteed.