Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Port Status Identification — Parallax Forums

Port Status Identification

From the editor when trying to recognize the BS2 I get the all too familiar "YES" to Feedback Loop and Echo, but no answer to Device Type or Version.

Windows 10, USB connection (not serial), Board of Ed (rev D), Boe-Bot, "What's A Microcontroller" book

From what I can tell there is no FIFO buffer settings in Windows10, and COM port troubleshooting doesn't lead me to any answers on this.

I have been stuck at this point as I follow the book which offers support for no later than Windows XP.

Comments

• You can adjust the COM port FIFOs (which are small) through Device Manager.
    -- Device Manager --> Ports (COM & LPT) --> COMx --> Port Settings --> Advanced

• @Elfof4sky2 said:
    From the editor when trying to recognize the BS2 I get the all too familiar "YES" to Feedback Loop and Echo, but no answer to Device Type or Version.

That result would indicate: USB cable connection OK, Power to Stamp module FAIL.

It usually means (depending on your board type):

• Power switch OFF,
    • Battery voltage low (or batteries not installed, or installed backwards). Batteries will become weak as they age, and might read enough voltage with a voltmeter, but not have enough "power" left to actually power your board. So always try a fresh new battery if having comms issues.
      • Stamp module installed upside-down or has a bent pin

In some rare cases it can also happen when Windows assigns the same COM port number to your BOE board as an internal Bluetooth COM port, and then gets stuck repeating it's own error. This is solved by connecting the BOE, then going into the COM port properties and changing the COM port number to an unused number (that Windows will list).

If you share a photo of your board whilst powered on and connected to your PC, then happy to take a look for anything else that might be an issue. Make sure the USB adapter (if used) is visible in the photo.