Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
New Prop Plug Rev E — Parallax Forums

New Prop Plug Rev E

Just tried this plug on my Propeller Mini and on the dip version and they both fail to load a program.

Is there a work around for this or am I stuck using the old prop plug on these units?

The guide shows this should work but I tried two Rev E units and they both do not work on P1.

They work just fine on P2 though.

Mike

Comments

• VonSzarvasVonSzarvas Posts: 3,284
    edited 2023-12-08 18:52

To help with diagnosis, which OS and IDE / Loader software are you using ?

I've only tried the Prop Plug Rev E with Windows & Propeller Tool for P1 programming, but as a data-point that combination worked well for me with a variety of P1 based boards.

What does the wiring to your DIP IC look like? Straight in, or via resistors/etc.. ?
    If I had to guess the most likely issue.... is there anything on your RESn pin that might impact the reset pulse (thinking of capacitance or an external pullup maybe?)

• Looks like a problem with the PropLoader used in SimpleIDE. Apparently not tested with Rev E Prop Plug.

int SerialGenerateResetSignal(SERIAL *serial)
    {
        EscapeCommFunction(serial->hSerial, serial->resetMethod == RESET_WITH_RTS ? SETRTS : SETDTR);
        Sleep(25);
        EscapeCommFunction(serial->hSerial, serial->resetMethod == RESET_WITH_RTS ? CLRRTS : CLRDTR);
        Sleep(90);
        // Purge here after reset helps to get rid of buffered data.
        PurgeComm(serial->hSerial, PURGE_TXABORT | PURGE_RXABORT | PURGE_TXCLEAR | PURGE_RXCLEAR);
        return 0;
    }

Mike

• SimpleIDE has been frozen for so many years, sadly I'm not surprised.
    I don't know of anyone tasked for actively maintaining that project, or testing products against it, etc..

Are you able to update the PropLoader to a newer version ? (Assuming that solves the issue for you?)
    Increase that first sleep or reduce the second sleep perhaps ?... Probably it's the first sleep wants bumping.

• evanhevanh Posts: 15,209
    edited 2023-12-09 00:08

I'm developing for a Prop1 at work. I presume it's a RevE PropPlug since it's newly purchased last year. I use Proploader from shell there and it always goes through a sequence of stepping down the bauds until it gets to 115200 and only then starts the download. Never fails, just does that dance every time.

Another option might be Loadp2. I think I noted it has gained the ability to talk to Prop1's now too.

EDIT: Version string is PropLoader (totalspectrum branch) v1.9-14 (2022-10-16 11:17:07 g64d6321). I pulled it from the Flexprop tools - https://github.com/totalspectrum/flexprop/releases

• @iseries said:
    Looks like a problem with the PropLoader used in SimpleIDE. Apparently not tested with Rev E Prop Plug.

int SerialGenerateResetSignal(SERIAL *serial)
    {
        EscapeCommFunction(serial->hSerial, serial->resetMethod == RESET_WITH_RTS ? SETRTS : SETDTR);
        Sleep(25);
        EscapeCommFunction(serial->hSerial, serial->resetMethod == RESET_WITH_RTS ? CLRRTS : CLRDTR);
        Sleep(90);
        // Purge here after reset helps to get rid of buffered data.
        PurgeComm(serial->hSerial, PURGE_TXABORT | PURGE_RXABORT | PURGE_TXCLEAR | PURGE_RXCLEAR);
        return 0;
    }

Mike

Would you test the upload with Spin Tools IDE ?

I don't have a rev. E and don't know why it should be different from the other revisions from the programming side.

• @macca,
    Yep, works just fine.

Apparently, the old prop plug has a longer delay then the new one does when the DTR is pulsed.

Mike

• Hello!
    @VonSzarvas is the firm still specifying FTDIChip devices for connecting P1 and the P2 devices? (I'll leave out the BASIC Stamp devices from this discussion for the sake of relevance.) They released a newer version of the FT232 series of part styles not all that long ago. (My copy is dated from April 8 of 2021 but that's when I downloaded. They'are calling it release 2.16.) I believe they might have tightened up the specs for the part family.

And there are four mascots involved in the drafting of this message.

• Hi Buck!

Yes, FTDI remains the chip of choice!

As tempting as the "best of the day" alternatives seem, the long-term consistency for customers always has FTDI winning the part choice debate. I think even including BASIC Stamp devices too, Parallax has kept the same standard interface for ~20 years, and I don't expect that to change any time soon.