Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
P2 Edge is not working with Rpi 4 or RPi 5 — Parallax Forums

P2 Edge is not working with Rpi 4 or RPi 5

I have been testing the P2, using my Linux desktop, works just fine. Now when I connect up to either the RPi 4 or the RPI 5, the P2 does not show up. When I look in /dev folder there is no ttyUSB0 or any other ttyUSBx to be found. Not sure why the RPi units are not finding the P2.

When I plug the P2 back into my Linux desktop, ttyUSB0 is present and I can work with the P2. My Activity Board WX seems to work just fine with the RPi 4 and 5. Did something change with the Prop Plug?

Ray

Comments

• pik33pik33 Posts: 2,350
    edited 2023-12-02 22:01

No problem with my RPi5, Flexprop compiled and run the example led blinker. PropPlug found on /dev/ttyUSB0. Raspbian Bookworm+KDE Plasma

• dgatelydgately Posts: 1,621
    edited 2023-12-03 02:53

Ray,

On the RPi4 (or 5), what response do you get from the command: "groups"?

On my RPi4:

pi@rpi4-64:~ $ groups
    pi adm dialout cdrom sudo audio video plugdev games users input render netdev lpadmin gpio i2c spi

the group 'dialout' may need to be added (just something I remember from way back...).

dgately

• Thanks again for the hints.

My discovery is more complex. I have been using my Linux desktop which is a gigabyte brix with the Raspberry Pi Desktop OS installed. I also have Remmina installed for remote desk connections. I just discovered that when I log into a RPI via the remmina desktop, for some reason it is using the Raspberry Pi desktop information, that means when I do a dir /dev, it is using /dev that is on the Raspberry Pi desktop, and not the RPI. Now I am not sure when this occurred.

I have verified that this is occurring, by using my Windows 10 desktop, and using remote desktop to connect to the RPi. Yes, the ttyUSB0 shows up, and when I use flexprop, it downloads and runs the program. Now I will have to plug in the WiFi adapter and see if that problem goes away.

Ray

• Flexprop running in Windows 10, still comes up with download failed when I try to use the WiFi ip address. Using the Windows 10 remote desk, I can get into RPi, but running flexprop WiFi port, shows a down load failed, The good thing is, ttyUSB0 shows up in the port selection, and it downloads & runs the program without any errors.

So, on my setup, implementing all the suggestions, I still cant not get a successful download &run, using the P2 WiFi.

Ray

• Well maybe you plugged the Wifi into one of the other ports on the board which could have put 5 volts on the CTS pin and fried it.

Mike

• Yikes, another $80 bucks down the drain. I was very careful to plug it into the correct port, this time, but who knows...

Ray