Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Prop2 ES-A, ES-B, others on eBay — Parallax Forums

Prop2 ES-A, ES-B, others on eBay

tomcrawfordtomcrawford Posts: 1,126
edited 2023-10-25 15:13 in General Discussion

I listed some old P2 stuff on ebay; "Parallel P2 Lot". Someone doing a museum might be interested. tc

Comments

• evanhevanh Posts: 15,540

And the link?

An Eval Board with a revB silicon attached is still fully supported. I wouldn't throwing that out unless ditching the Propeller2 entirely.

• JonnyMacJonnyMac Posts: 9,030
    edited 2023-10-26 01:10

[deleted]

• links to item sales are not permitted, but I'd say go ahead on this occasion -- it will take me a little while to notice :wink:

• Didn't know. Sorry. Won't do it again.

• @JonnyMac said:
    Didn't know. Sorry. Won't do it again.

Btw...mine was an unaddressed (jikes) reply for Tom, but seems our posts overlapped. Ol' KG is usually quick to approve for short periods (to avoid spammers thinking it's ok wholesale) when asked by long standing contributors. Sometimes I cut out the middleman to save time :)

edited 2023-10-31 21:52

Ouch! Jon, that's 99% a tracking tag.

• So much for the "Copy a clean link" option from the browser....

• @tomcrawford hi, can I put the micropython firmware on any of those controllers, if it's feasible I'll put a bid in.

thanks.

• I'll place a bid anyway, at the kick off price it's worth it for the breadboard

• Sounds like someone was a little bit satisfied with their P2

• Did I misspell, I thought I wrote dissatisfied as in unhappy, no good, didn’t like it etc. I thought the P2 was pretty good, once some demo’s, and more data came out for it.

You could just edit your prior post. :)

• tomcrawfordtomcrawford Posts: 1,126
    edited 2023-10-31 21:53

There has been a little speculation as to my dropping P2. In no particular order:

1. I am an 81-year-old widower and my mind isn't as agile as it once was.
    2. I was spoiled by the quality of the Stamp and P1 documentation.
    3. I was spoiled by the quality of the Stamp and P1 IDE's.

tc

• UnsoundcodeUnsoundcode Posts: 1,532
    edited 2023-10-31 21:53

No shame in dropping and swapping I do it all of the time.

Here are a couple of tongue in cheek observations about myself.

1. I am an 71-year-old and my mind has never been agile.
    2. Does the Stamp and P1 have documentation ??
    3. I maybe become an Ebay vendor before the end of the year

Looking forward to my goodies.

• @JonnyMac said:
    So much for the "Copy a clean link" option from the browser....

Didn't see it but usually there is a "?" . Removing this and everything beyond it should provide a clean link.

Craig

• I'm with you on that, when the P2 launched it wasn't like the stamp or P1. But I guess when you invest in the development and production cost of the micro controller, you want to get it on the market ASAP to recoup your cost.

• @DigitalBob said:
    I'm with you on that, when the P2 launched it wasn't like the stamp or P1. But I guess when you invest in the development and production cost of the micro controller, you want to get it on the market ASAP to recoup your cost.

Not sure I would entirely agree on quick to market. The documents and tools until recently have been night and day difference compared to that which supported the P1. Personally, I believe that had it not been for the reputation of P1 (and prior products) and the number and caliber of those forum members who have gone way far beyond in their contributions to push to the state the P2 has reached, the P2 would have been an afterthought on the trail of "cool" devices that have come and gone and possibly tanked Parallax. Sounds harsh, but having minimal supporting docs and tools at its release, without the heavyweights who we follow and look to for help and solutions, would anyone have invested the time and cost to use it in other than a hobby level design/product.

• David BetzDavid Betz Posts: 14,516
    edited 2023-11-04 12:58

@"frank freedman" said:
    Sounds harsh, but having minimal supporting docs and tools at its release, without the heavyweights who we follow and look to for help and solutions, would anyone have invested the time and cost to use it in other than a hobby level design/product.

What kind of commercial products using the P2 have people here been working on?

edited 2023-11-04 21:48

@"David Betz" said:
    What kind of commercial products using the P2 have people here been working on?

Probably not a lot in total. Prop1 will have a much larger base.

I'll put them in four groups:

• Those that liked the Propeller from the start and donates time on the forums while at the same time finding work for it. Or always had work for it. Jonny Mac is the obvious poster-boy here.
    • The highly skilled that just power through all the problems and testing required to answer all their own questions. Such can be lurkers but they may never visit the forums either. They may also pay for professional support to speed things up.
    • Those that have knowledgeable friends actively involved here from early on to provide quick answers off-forum. If we're lucky we might hear about this group second-hand.
    • And those with newbie questions popping out of the woodwork. Some such questions/solutions can still be tricky or time consuming to answer.
  • P2 is almost custom built for test equipment. We keep several EDGE boards in stock here at the lab. Next project is an all-in-one tester that will do component test ( AC V/I curve of each test point/component at various frequencies) then switch to flashing the onboard chips, then switch to functional test. I have written libraries (For my employer.. sadly can't share) to operate SEGGER ATE and Mini/hub. Directly ICSP several Microchip products, and serial flash ESP WROOM. (Still working on SWD... would love to cut out SEGGER and save $15K!!)

P2 gives me signal generation and A/D at will on any pin, fast serial in any form, precision measurements, and even the display for test progress and disposition. The new on-board flash filesystem will allow me to keep the massive test rubric on-board as well!