Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Anecdotal reliability of P2 in the heat — Parallax Forums

Anecdotal reliability of P2 in the heat

This one has been in operation since September of 2022, outside in an enclosure. It is in the shade, but has no fans or heatsinks. It runs the spotlights and other lighting on my house. Clocked at 270MHz, with 7 cogs running, it has never had to be manually reset or powercycled, except for firmware updates. We had a power failure 102 days ago when it last booted. We have had several 90+ degree days in the past two weeks.

These things are solid.

Comments

• evanhevanh Posts: 15,214
    edited 2023-06-14 02:06

Nice. There's one huge factor in its favour compared to the bloated OSes and libraries of more complex systems - It's simply way less buggy.

270 MHz shouldn't have any overheating issues. Really, the only source of crashing should be from cosmic rays causing bit flips.

I once had clear evidence of this in a system that had a Basic that tokenised from source on every power up. Everything was stored in battery backed SRAM. Easy to correct just by editing the program source code line with the syntax error and seeing the single letter typo. All done self-hosted via a dumb terminal. Don't even know who wrote the program.

• @ke4pjw said:

This is good to know. Thank you :+1:

Craig

• For one of my projects I have a P2, rev.C, running 297MHz, at 12v0 volts, 3-cogs (one being a VGA function) for a Year. It runs medium warm. and is never turned Off.

That equals about 8760 Hours. To get to 50,000 hours I need 5-Years and 260-Days, give or take. The P2 is well designed and solid.