Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Propeller P2 Edge module 3D models? — Parallax Forums

Propeller P2 Edge module 3D models?

I see Parallax has some 3D models for the connector and the TQFP, but I couldn't find any models for the P2 Edge module.

Is anyone working on a model, or need a nudge? I'd love to be able to render a P2 Edge module in one of my board designs.

Comments

• Nice, I was looking for these too. Thanks @VonSzarvas

• Danka!

• Here's my resulting render:

• VonSzarvasVonSzarvas Posts: 3,278
    edited 2023-06-01 05:48

Wow- huge panel! :)

What are the dimensions of that green beast? Looks similar to an old ATX motherboard.

Looks thin too. Guess you'll have some sort of support on the underside- at least under all the sockets? Do you think it will bend much where it's going?

Something very calming about looking at those ceramic coated tant caps!. Usually a good price too. Great for these projects and a joy to see. Win win!

• pedwardpedward Posts: 1,642
    edited 2023-06-02 01:27

It's ~8x8 inches. This is intended to live on a workbench, so rubber feet or plastic standoffs in the mounting holes.
    This is what will plug into it:

Yes, that's S100 bus :D

It's prohibitively expensive to make boards that are 10x5.25 except from off-shore fabs. I got a quote of $264 from OSHPark and $594 from Sierra Proto :cold_sweat:

• roglohrogloh Posts: 5,168
    edited 2023-06-02 02:34

One hell of a battery backup memory system you have there pedward if it's Li-ion. An 18650 cell or a smaller 14450 one? That's already 1-2.5 amp hours . Should last a good century or so on a couple of microamp draw before it runs out (except for its self discharge unless the diode reverse leakage can recharge it for some of the time). :smile:

It's not a bad solution. I wonder what's the best type of battery for least self discharge these days. That's the limiting case here for sure if it needs to retain memory for years.

• evanhevanh Posts: 15,188

It'll be a regular 3 volt lithium. More commonly seen as button cells. Yes, they can indeed run for 100 years.

They're full of a watery liquid that, when broken, fumes and eats many materials, including skin. Discoloured all my tools but I managed to run for it before breathing any luckily.

• These boards use a Tadiran lithium thionyl chloride (LiSOCl2) battery, it's an AA 2400mah at 3.6v. I have one in my original CPU board from 1991 and it still has a 3.692v charge. According to the datasheet these should do about 30yr at 2ua. This board only has 4 chips, so the load is low.

The newer boards Fadal built had a 1F supercapacitor in parallel with the battery, so when the system is powered up it will charge the supercapacitor via a 100 ohm resistor, then it'll discharge through a parallel schottky diode. It seems redundant to have a diode in parallel with the resistor, but couldn't hurt.

My memory board design has 1 chip, so basically it's a lifetime battery :grin:

The battery is isolated with a plain 1N914, but I've upgraded them to 1N5817 schottky diodes, which are ~.35v Fv.

The discharge curve of the Tadiran batteries is like a knee, so perhaps it really doesn't matter if you have a schottky diode or regular 1N914.