Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Debug vs. Smartpins while programming SPI interface [Solved] — Parallax Forums

Debug vs. Smartpins while programming SPI interface [Solved]

Patrick1abPatrick1ab Posts: 136
edited 2023-03-11 22:35 in Propeller 2

Hello everyone,

I am working on a multipurpose SPI implementation using Smartpins and Streamer + assembly language.
As I am making many mistakes and searching for errors a lot of the time, I started using the debug function of the Propeller 2.
Doing so, I have stumbled across something, which I cannot really explain:

If I activate the debug function in the Propeller tool (even if I don't use debug statements in my code), the smartpins and streamer seem to stop working. If I deactivate the function, they work normally without any further changes to my code:

With debug enabled:

Without debug enabled:

Is there maybe an explanation for this behaviour?
I couldn't really find something in the Spin2 Manual and I also tried to search the forum, but without success.

I have attached the corresponding code to this post. However, please keep in mind that it is still a work in progress, not optimized in terms of code size and performance and could contain some flaws.

For hardware debugging purposes I also used the LED matrix and control board from the P2-ES Eval Board Accessory Set together with the libraries P2ES Control and P2ES Matrix from JonnyMac.
Links below:
https://github.com/parallaxinc/propeller/tree/master/libraries/community/p2/All/jm_p2es_control
https://github.com/parallaxinc/propeller/tree/master/libraries/community/p2/All/jm_p2es_matrix

Comments

• evanhevanh Posts: 15,170

Please link jm_p2-es_control.spin2 and jm_p2-es_matrix.spin2

• Hello evanh,

thanks for your reply. I added the according links to my original post.

edited 2023-03-11 12:08

Turns out those files weren't needed since those routines weren't being called anyway. :)

Well, compiling in Flexspin it don't work either way ...

Looking at the setup() routine, on a hunch I added a waitms(10) after the coginit() and it now works using Flexspin - You've got a race timing issue. Debug must be affecting the timing around coginit()'s.

EDIT: PS: change_clk() would already be waiting before the Pasm cog has started. The launchee Cog takes a short while to load up. Meanwhile the launcher Cog is free to continue.

• Thank you very much, evanh.
    It now works also with debug enabled and I would never have found this race condition all by my own.

I didn't delve any deeper myself but it would be a good exercise for you to nut out if there is a cleaner solution than just adding a pause there. Often an extra state variable is needed, so is debatable as to which solution is cleaner. Maybe it's a case of just improving how the operation variable gets used. Adding an extra case to that would be clean.