Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Reading a QuickStart's EEPROM from another QuickStart — Parallax Forums

Reading a QuickStart's EEPROM from another QuickStart

I know it sounds silly.

I have a second QuickStart and pondered the idea of using it to read the EEPROM (and code) of another QuickStart that has a program that runs at startup and blinks the LEDs.
I don't have the source Spin for that program and thought it would be an interesting challenge to read and reverse engineer the code.

I have some Dupont jumpers and wondered if it's possible to do this by connecting them together. But, then I started thinking - to power and read the target QS board, I might need to cut some traces for the I2C to work.

Comments

• You could do it with just the one Quickstart board by writing a program that reads the EEPROM and dumps it out over the serial console, and then only loading this program into RAM and not into EEPROM, as to not disturb the EEPROM program you're trying to recover.

• MacknnationsMacknnations Posts: 5
    edited 2023-03-06 15:35

@Electrodude said:
    You could do it with just the one Quickstart board by writing a program that reads the EEPROM and dumps it out over the serial console, and then only loading this program into RAM and not into EEPROM, as to not disturb the EEPROM program you're trying to recover.

That makes sense. I had read similar posts and I was concerned about overwriting the EEPROM with any new code. A review of Chapter 3 of the Propeller manual helped me refresh my understanding of compile->load to RAM vs. EEPROM process.

Thank you.