Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
debug suggestions (conditional debug, halt) — Parallax Forums

debug suggestions (conditional debug, halt)

Currently, there is only one global flag in the Propeller Tool menu to enable or disable debug output. For larger projects it would be nice to select that on a per object basis. This way I don't have to comment the debug statements out when I'm done debugging.

If a problem occurs later I could selectively switch debug on again only for a single object. Switching on ging globally would produce an overwhelming amount of ouput for a large project.

I think Eric has already implemented something like that in FlexProp. If I remember correctly you can switch on and off options like debugging and optimisation with special keywords.

It would also be very helpful being able to halt the debug window. That would be some sort of manual trigger if I see something interesting. Pressing excape to stop debugging doesn't help because all data vanishes. And if I don't halt it the lines I'm interested in will soon be scrolled out of scope.

Comments

• cgraceycgracey Posts: 14,133

@ManAtWork said:
    Currently, there is only one global flag in the Propeller Tool menu to enable or disable debug output. For larger projects it would be nice to select that on a per object basis. This way I don't have to comment the debug statements out when I'm done debugging.

If a problem occurs later I could selectively switch debug on again only for a single object. Switching on ging globally would produce an overwhelming amount of ouput for a large project.

I think Eric has already implemented something like that in FlexProp. If I remember correctly you can switch on and off options like debugging and optimisation with special keywords.

It would also be very helpful being able to halt the debug window. That would be some sort of manual trigger if I see something interesting. Pressing excape to stop debugging doesn't help because all data vanishes. And if I don't halt it the lines I'm interested in will soon be scrolled out of scope.

Good ideas. I will think about this

• evanhevanh Posts: 15,187
    edited 2022-10-21 23:56

I've been writing objects with the first method as a self-tester for when compiled as stand-alone top level compile. It invariably always includes a serial sub-object for debug output. It'd be great to not have to comment out all the prints when used as a normal object.

Of course, won't help me on my Prop1 project though.