Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Waitse1 problem with Cog0 - Page 2 — Parallax Forums

Waitse1 problem with Cog0

2»

Comments

• @macca said:

@evanh said:
    Some things are in a defined start state, others are not. That's one that isn't.

You see it not defined, I see it defined except one case... point of view, i guess.

The SEx event flags initial state are explicitly not defined by the fact that a SETSEx used with a different mode is guaranteed not to clear the event flag. That means the flag is not defined, just like uninitialised RAM.

But it doesn't have to clear the event... it is the first time it is used, there aren't events to clear... and in fact the events are all cleared except one!

I'm talking generally. The Cordic is a clear easy to understand example of concurrency that can still get into a jumbled sequence. The event system is more open and therefore more prone to such issues, whether by in sequence bugs or just not fully initialising it.

So, you are saying that before using cordic I sould always call getqx/getqy to be sure there are no phantom results in the queue ? One time is enough or should I call it a couple tens of times ? Maybe I can use pollmq to be sure... oh wait, but the event may be in an undetermined state, so I should clear that event as well... but the cordic may be in a undertermined state, how do I know when the state is finally determined ?
    Yes, I'm joking... a bit...

I think we can stop here.

• evanhevanh Posts: 15,423

@macca said:

The SEx event flags initial state are explicitly not defined by the fact that a SETSEx used with a different mode is guaranteed not to clear the event flag. That means the flag is not defined, just like uninitialised RAM.

But it doesn't have to clear the event... it is the first time it is used, there aren't events to clear... and in fact the events are all cleared except one!

Incidently.

But they're all undefined. That means your software should explicitly clear any SEx flag before use.

I'm talking generally. The Cordic is a clear easy to understand example of concurrency that can still get into a jumbled sequence. The event system is more open and therefore more prone to such issues, whether by in sequence bugs or just not fully initialising it.

So, you are saying that before using cordic I sould always call getqx/getqy to be sure there are no phantom results in the queue ? One time is enough or should I call it a couple tens of times ? Maybe I can use pollmq to be sure... oh wait, but the event may be in an undetermined state, so I should clear that event as well... but the cordic may be in a undertermined state, how do I know when the state is finally determined ?
    Yes, I'm joking... a bit...

You aren't wrong about the complexity there.

• pik33pik33 Posts: 2,358

You have no initial state at all. A P2 started with a boot code, loaded the program from the flash and then executed. I don't know what the bootcode and flash loader does, but it can use se1 and left it in another state than the rest of them. That's why you can have different behavior only in se1 and only in cog0

• evanhevanh Posts: 15,423
    edited 2022-07-10 19:28

Here's a snippet from some old library code where I wanted to use the Cordic and didn't trust its state at that time. The code flushes the pipeline while waiting for the result.

emitclkfrq
            qdiv    clk_freq, ##1_000_000
            pollqmt             'clear old event
    .flushloop
            getqx   pa          'MHz whole number - at final pipeline result
            jnqmt   #.flushloop     'loop until Cordic pipeline is empty, results are in

EDIT: Here's the remainder of this routine. As well using the Cordic itself, it also calls itod which uses the Cordic too and finally calls putch while waiting for the last result. I remember I wanted to make sure it didn't get jumbled. The check at the start was partly a peace of mind thing.

getqy   temp2           'remainder - six decimal places
            call    #itod           'uses cordic!

qdiv    temp2, #100     'remove least two digits
            mov temp2, bcdlen       'preserve bcdlen
            callpb  #".", #putch
            mov bcdlen, #$104       'format to four decimal places with leading zeros
            getqx   pa
            call    #itod           'uses cordic!
        _ret_   mov bcdlen, temp2       'restore bcdlen