Shop Learn
Propeller serial number — Parallax Forums

Propeller serial number

Hello,

I was wondering if a propeller has a serial number, I would like to encrypt the serial number into the code as validation that it would only run on that specific propeller.

regards

Jeff

Comments

• No, it doesn't.

-Phil

• Not what you asked, but this is often achieved by using an EEPROM that has a serial number, or some other external device with a unique number, such as 1-wire temperature sensor, real-time-clock chip, etc..
    ie. the workaround can be to use (or replace) a component in your design to one that is available with a serial number.

• ok, thanks, i'll go that route.
    Jeff

• JonnyMacJonnyMac Posts: 8,097

I once used a 1-Wire device for that purpose -- and I got a double-dip: I was able to measure temperature and I had a unique serial number using just one pin. If you end up porting your app to the P2, the flash that's attached has a unique serial # (per Michael's suggestion).

• For future reference, here's one example of an EEPROM for the P1 that includes a secure data area and unique ID:

FM24C512D-TS-T-G

This part is a drop-in replacement for the P1 boot EEPROM which most-all P1 projects require anyway.

• @VonSzarvas said:
    For future reference, here's one example of an EEPROM for the P1 that includes a secure data area and unique ID:

FM24C512D-TS-T-G

This part is a drop-in replacement for the P1 boot EEPROM which most-all P1 projects require anyway.

Very usefull, thanks for sharing this information😊👍