Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Prop Mini.. — Parallax Forums

Prop Mini..

As everyone knows, the Prop Mini has been discontinued, much to my dissatisfaction. Anyways, I have projects that use the Mini, and PCB's are made for it. I called Parallax and chatted with the nice lady, to find out if there was any left, hidden in a drawer or on a back shelve, but no luck. I was then told by support to check on the forums...and here I am...LOL.

Anyone have one or even two that that are not "broken", fully operational, that would like to sell?
I can be contacted at deno1414@gmail.com, or here on the forums..

Thanks to all...DenO

Comments

• JonnyMacJonnyMac Posts: 8,912
    edited 2022-05-06 20:02

A friend of mine in the bought quite a few of them when Parallax announced the product retirement. I will send him your email in case he has a few he's willing to sell to you.

BTW, I just suggested to another friend that he switch to the FLiP because it's available, and really not much bigger than the Mini. Thankfully, he hadn't ordered PCBs yet, so he could make the switch.

640 x 556 - 139K
  • I have two. One is unused and still in the package. The other has female headers soldered to it but I'm pretty sure it works fine. You can have both if you still need them. Just send me your mailing address. You're welcome to have them for free but if you feel like you want to pay for them just donate the money to the people of Ukraine.

• Thank you David and JonnyMac. I have used the FLIP, but it, as you know, it has a larger foot print. Well designed, however.

David, thank you for the kind offer, and I would like to take you up on it. My address is: DenO, 114 Birch Road, Manistee, Michigan, 49660.
    And, I will give to the people of Ukraine....

Thanks..DenO

• @denno said:
    Thank you David and JonnyMac. I have used the FLIP, but it, as you know, it has a larger foot print. Well designed, however.

David, thank you for the kind offer, and I would like to take you up on it. My address is: DenO, 114 Birch Road, Manistee, Michigan, 49660.
    And, I will give to the people of Ukraine....

Thanks..DenO

I'll get it in the mail today. I have lots of P1 stuff. Is there anything else you're looking for?

• I just found another mini. This one has male headers soldered to it. They are all Rev A. Will that work for you? I can't recall if there was ever a Rev B or later.

• Yes, I am sure it will work, and thank you. I will desolder the one with the female headers...much appreciated....

• I checked and there never was a Rev B. However, at some point Parallax switched from a 32k to a 64k EEPROM. I'm not sure what size these modules have. I hope you don't need more than 32k.

I sent the package today along with a few bonus items. I sent a PM with the tracking number.

• Thank you David...much appreciated. If there is a return address i will compensate you for postage...

• @denno said:
    Thank you David...much appreciated. If there is a return address i will compensate you for postage...

The postage wasn't much. Don't bother sending anything. Enjoy the parts!

• Did you get as many as you need? I have nine plugged into a breadboard but sadly have no conducive foam.

tc

• @tomcrawford said:
    Did you get as many as you need? I have nine plugged into a breadboard but sadly have no conducive foam.

tc

Nine plugged into a breadboard? Were you making a massively parallel Propeller system?

• @"David Betz" said:

@tomcrawford said:
    Did you get as many as you need? I have nine plugged into a breadboard but sadly have no conducive foam.

tc

Nine plugged into a breadboard? Were you making a massively parallel Propeller system?

I got kinda carried away at Collatz.

• Thanks to all, but David has helped me out.... :)

• David, received your package today with the extra goodies. All my electronics is mostly "one off" design stuff. Meaning, I get an idea for some sort of electronic device, to do something...readouts for temperature, battery voltage, liquid flow, and lots of high amp stuff using MOSFET's and high amp DC motors for stand on one person golf cart. The reason I needed a Prop Mini is that I already had in my position a PCB, designed by me for a in house thermostat to turn on and off my fuel oil furness with time and or temperature...most of my designs used the BS2sx, with the 8 different program slots. I am pretty versed in PBASIC with the stamp. When Bean brought out the PROPBASIC, I jumped on the Propeller and the Prop Mini. PROPBASIC works for me. Was a little learning curve...but did get thinks figured out.

So, thank you again...and I will do some studying on the other devices you included...

DenO

• @denno said:
    David, received your package today with the extra goodies. All my electronics is mostly "one off" design stuff. Meaning, I get an idea for some sort of electronic device, to do something...readouts for temperature, battery voltage, liquid flow, and lots of high amp stuff using MOSFET's and high amp DC motors for stand on one person golf cart. The reason I needed a Prop Mini is that I already had in my position a PCB, designed by me for a in house thermostat to turn on and off my fuel oil furness with time and or temperature...most of my designs used the BS2sx, with the 8 different program slots. I am pretty versed in PBASIC with the stamp. When Bean brought out the PROPBASIC, I jumped on the Propeller and the Prop Mini. PROPBASIC works for me. Was a little learning curve...but did get thinks figured out.

So, thank you again...and I will do some studying on the other devices you included...

DenO

I hope you enjoy them. If you don’t find a use for them feel free to pass them on to someone else. I have lots of stuff I’d like to find a home for.

• Just a suggestion, you could get the pcb files from parallax and have a board house print out as many as you need. I am not sure about the specific board you need, but there are full schematics and even gerber files (which you send to board-house) for a lot of their boards. That is how I got my demo board.

Some board-houses will even assemble them for you.

• @NickMikhay said:
    Just a suggestion, you could get the pcb files from parallax and have a board house print out as many as you need. I am not sure about the specific board you need, but there are full schematics and even gerber files (which you send to board-house) for a lot of their boards. That is how I got my demo board.

Doesn’t the mini use the QFN part? I don’t think Parallax sells those anymore.

• @denno said:
    David, received your package today with the extra goodies. All my electronics is mostly "one off" design stuff. Meaning, I get an idea for some sort of electronic device, to do something...readouts for temperature, battery voltage, liquid flow, and lots of high amp stuff using MOSFET's and high amp DC motors for stand on one person golf cart. The reason I needed a Prop Mini is that I already had in my position a PCB, designed by me for a in house thermostat to turn on and off my fuel oil furness with time and or temperature...most of my designs used the BS2sx, with the 8 different program slots. I am pretty versed in PBASIC with the stamp. When Bean brought out the PROPBASIC, I jumped on the Propeller and the Prop Mini. PROPBASIC works for me. Was a little learning curve...but did get thinks figured out.

DenO

Thanks for sending me reimbursement for the postage.

• You may be right, I make it a rule to stay away from the very fine stuff. Too hard on the eyes.

• @NickMikhay said:
    Just a suggestion, you could get the pcb files from parallax and have a board house print out as many as you need. I am not sure about the specific board you need, but there are full schematics and even gerber files (which you send to board-house) for a lot of their boards. That is how I got my demo board.

Unfortulantley, the P8X32A-M44 (QFN) is opsolete,
    https://www.digikey.com/en/products/detail/parallax-inc/P8X32A-M44/1136006

I am suspect of this vender having 67K in stock
    https://www.pcbekey.com/products/1_6251295/p8x32a-m44?gclid=CjwKCAjw7IeUBhBbEiwADhiEMYsfFF6JVYhbyDm8n5HloZj_Ma2xKyFE5Eroux73TmCj4k1nGDu5cxoCk84QAvD_BwE

To my knowledge, gerbers were never released, but we can beg for the Diptrace files. :)