Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
VGA connector has sound? Where? — Parallax Forums

VGA connector has sound? Where?

Just got a new monitor and it provides sound over VGA. How?

I was not aware that this is possible, did I miss some notice?

confused,

Mike

Comments

• roglohrogloh Posts: 5,171
    edited 2022-03-31 06:19

Hey it's not even April 1st yet in Oz. Or even NZ for that matter.

• I know but monitor is just connected with VGA connector and has sound output

Just got it today and have not investigated.

Mike

• What is sourcing it, a PC or something else?

• Bluetooth speakers in the monitor ?

• You didn't say what kind of sound. For example, if VSYNC is amplified, you'll get a noticeable buzz. :)

-Phil

• RaymanRayman Posts: 13,901

What is make and model number?

Did you actually produce sound over vga?

I’d guess there’s a hdmi input on it for sound…

• There are VGA cables that also include a 3.5mm audio jack circuit in the same cable, which exits from the back of each D15 connector? In between the two ends is a single round cable

If there's no separate jack then it might be doing audio over the I2C interface normally used for DDC somehow

Do you have a monitor make & model for us?

• hinvhinv Posts: 1,252

@"Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)" said:
    You didn't say what kind of sound. For example, if VSYNC is amplified, you'll get a noticeable buzz. :)

-Phil

Good to see you in the P2 channels Phil. I can't wait to see what you will do for radio stuff with the new capabilities of the P2.

Thanks,
    Doug

• VGA doesn’t’ carry sound. Not in standard vga format

• You may have a monitor that uses the spare pins on the vga connector at the the monitor to receive sound,. As tubular pointed out.

• ASUS VA249HE 23.8" and just connected to outlet and standard VGA Cable to a HP Compaq. And do not see any speaker in the PC either.

I do have a bluetooth mouse, standard Keyboard with USB and nothing else connected.

But clearly have sound on Videos playing in Youtube.

My guess also is that the I2C used for DDC is used but if there is some newer standard to do so we should find out how.

Mike

• Try unplugging the monitor from the computer. Do you still have sound?

-Phil

• Oh Phil, you got it. I just did that and YES still sound. so it is the PC not the monitor, confusion solved.

It is a weird PC anyways, bought at a discount seller for $234 or something, Intel I5 and 16GB ram and has besides USB still a real serial port and additional PS2 mouse and Keyboard plugs.

And obviously a build in speaker, OH well.

They are sitting next to each other so I could not clearly locate where the sound came from

sorry guys for the stupid question

Mike

• Lol Mike.

Like Roger said this is like a good April fools prank, only extended a bit before and after

It does make be wonder how one might do sound over those DDC pins

• Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) Posts: 23,514
    edited 2022-04-01 22:05

Good to see you in the P2 channels Phil. I can't wait to see what you will do for radio stuff with the new capabilities of the P2.

The P2, with its synchronous I/Os locked to the system clock and lack of individual PLLs, renders it less appropriate for RF stuff than the P1.

Anyway, RF apps are way on the back burner right now. I'm having too much fun with air-quality stuff. :)

-Phil

• @Tubular said:
    Lol Mike.

Like Roger said this is like a good April fools prank, only extended a bit before and after

It does make be wonder how one might do sound over those DDC pins

Why the DDC pins when you have those wonderful video lines at your fingertips? Hsync happens often enough that you could switch analog audio onto the color pins and have the monitor sample-and-hold it.

• Welcome to the club, Mike :lol:

I am working in a spare office at a customer's facility. Getting a bit cold but I could hear the fan-heater kicking-in....but only for a second and then off again. That's a bit strange, it was fine yesterday and I haven't touched it :neutral:

DOH!!! [Homer Simpson style]
    I had somehow unplugged it and at the same time, installed a keep-bluetooth-alive app on my phone to keep my bluetooth speaker from shutting down. The app blasts white noise through the speaker every few minutes and it sounds exactly the same as the fan heater :lol:

Craig