Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Chip shortages — Parallax Forums

Chip shortages

I just had my first experience with chip unavailability, presumably due to the global chip shortage.

I'm interested in hearing stories about your encounters with chip shortages. What kind of chips? How did you work around the issue?

Comments

• I had to modify a BOM three times to get parts for a small board (accessory product). The production build went to PCBWay in Shenzhen. Even they had trouble getting parts and I had to give them a couple alternative part numbers. In the end, we were able to get this simple board built and shipped just before the latest rounds of shutdowns over there.

• Around September of last year, I needed to replenish my stock of PDIP Tex Inst NE5532 op-amps.
    Go to Digikey - out of stock, available March, 2022
    Go to Mouser - out of stock, available April, 2022
    Go to Newark - out of stock, available April, 2022

?? %%##%^@!%^ ??

Found some "discontinued" On Semi SE5532 PDIP at Arrow for cheap; bought 500.

Next to availabilty issues, the general prices increases are very annoying.

• Dont get me started!. It wont be pretty and I’d have a hard time remaining polite or civil. 🤣 I have a little toaster controller that I’ve been hatching for a year. It is in its third respin. Two of the components actually have two alternate footprints within the main footprint just to deal with sporadic parts availability. I dont know how “real” OEM’s can function like this.

• It's not just chips. Connectors are affected, too. There's a worldwide shortage of the nylon resin used in connector insulators and shells. I was nearly stymied by the unavailability of a tiny connector shell. Findchips was no help. The part was out of stock everywhere. And this one little part was all that stood between me and being able to deliver product to my customer. I even tried 3D printing it, but the details were too fine. Out of desperation, I went to eBay. Sure enough, someone had 50 of them. I bought 'em all.

-Phil

• @"Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)" said:
    It's not just chips. Connectors are affected, too. There's a worldwide shortage of the nylon resin used in connector insulators and shells. I was nearly stymied by the unavailability of a tiny connector shell. Findchips was no help. The part was out of stock everywhere. And this one little part was all that stood between me and being able to deliver product to my customer. I even tried 3D printing it, but the details were too fine. Out of desperation, I went to eBay. Sure enough, someone had 50 of them. I bought 'em all.

-Phil

Took the @erco route? :)

• ercoerco Posts: 20,244

Took the @erco route? :)

It's an honor just to be nominated!

Unless Will Smith makes a surprise visit to the stage.

• How is the situation with the P1 & P2?

I remember watching a Parallax presentation on YouTube, recently and I think it was Ken who made the remark (something like) "we're not sure when we will be getting more" .

Craig