Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
RasPi or 555 Timer? — Parallax Forums

RasPi or 555 Timer?

I like this new MAKE article which shows 2 ways to build an alarm: Raspberry Pi or two 555 timers. These days most everyone reaches for a micro to build every project but that's overkill in many situations. I still relish any opportunity to use the 50-year old 555 timer. First time recently I can recall that a major publication advocated using analog chips, even as an alternate solution. Maybe they're ripe for a comeback, along with vinyl & vacuum tubes!

https://makezine.com/projects/build-this-intruder-alarm-two-ways-using-555-timers-or-a-raspberry-pi/

Comments

• I still relish any opportunity to use the 50-year old 555 timer.

Hear, hear! I've got a project on the drawing board for keeping water in my Keurig coffee maker's reservoir. The 555 would be triggered by a phototransistor taped to the "Add water" LED. It would then turn on a pump or valve for a fixed interval of time. Easy peasy!

-Phil

• A few years ago when I was working for a cyber company, I spent the half-day before Thanksgiving teaching a bunch of hardcore cyber-security wonks how the 555 works and had them build blinky LED circuits. It was fun (especially for me).

• ercoerco Posts: 20,256

You made it fun, JonnyMac!