Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Spin Tools IDE - Page 12 — Parallax Forums

Spin Tools IDE

Comments

• @"R Baggett" said:
    I have narrowed down the problem to line 32. If i remove the array reference from the first 'Times' variable, the red tab goes away and it will compile. (But clearly won't work as intended that way)

Yes, that line cause a weird internal error (this is why you see the red tab title but no other indication), will look at it.

• Released version 0.32.1 with the fixes reported.

• Unary float operators
    • Repeat variable compile
    • Sub address rfvar arguments
    • Range expression parsing
    • Object array method navigation

Added a couple missing unary constants folding, and toggle RTS with DTR to reset the propeller.

• @macca

Thanks for this release! My code execution issue is now resolved!

• Macca,

Array variable problem resolved!

• @macca

I recently loaded spinIDE (along with the latest Java SDK/runtime) on my Debian laptop and it runs great. This is a nice tool. However, I would like to run on my raspberrypi(s) too. It turns out that the default Java SDK (SE 17) for raspian uses 32 bit library compilation. Unfortunately, spinIDE seems to be compiled with 64 bit libraries and throws a non-compatible java runtime error on startup. Would it be possible to get a 32bit library compiled version available for rpi use put up on your download page? I think this would allow the default java load for rpi's to run spinIDE.

• @Phonos
    Unfortunately, the SWT library is available for 64-bit ARM only.
    You need to install the 64-bit OS, however I haven't tested it and there isn't a build for it (waiting for the Raspberry Pi 5 to arrive).

• Thank you for the response. I am on the waitlist for rpi5. My workaround is to ssh p2.binary files and run a P2 loader script on the rpi3b/4. This is for use where the robot is actually being used and is detached from the workstation.

I appreciate the good work you have done with this tool!

• Released version 0.33.0

• Fixed floating point math op size
    • Implemented lstring, longs, words and bytes functions (PNut v42)
    • Bytecode compiler refactoring to allow keywords override

The addition of the new keywords should be backward compatible with existing sources that are already using variables or methods with the same name.
    Hope to not have broken something else in the process.

• Hi,
    I love the new Spin Tools IDE (use the latest 0.33.0), it gives a big extra back ground information. I use the propeller 1. The only problem i have, is that it error gives in syntax, but not in Propeller Tools v1.3.2. There are no issues. Here an example, with using RX.spin object

statement spr[8+i] := %01000 << 26 + long[pins_address][i] 'set the mode and pin for ctra/b
    error > undefined symbol spr

statement phsa~ 'counter set to zero
    gives > expression syntax error

is there a workaround ?

Regards Rob.

• @"Rob v.d. berg" said:
    statement spr[8+i] := %01000 << 26 + long[pins_address][i] 'set the mode and pin for ctra/b
    error > undefined symbol spr

Forgot the SPR register... in that case you can work around it by using the actual register names.
    Replace the loop with:

ctra := ctrb  := %01000 << 26 + long[pins_address][i]   'set the mode and pin for ctra/b
      frqa := frqb := 1                                      ' set frqa/b

statement phsa~ 'counter set to zero
    gives > expression syntax error

This is a bit weird since the post-clear should be supported... anyway, for now, you can work around by using the assignment:

phsa := 0                                              'counter set to zero

I'll look at fixing the compiler.

Thanks for reporting.

• @macca said:
    Forgot the SPR register...

We all do. I think that one was unimplemented in flexspin bytecode (and bugged in the asm backend) for a long time.

• great!, thanks for your work

• @macca said:

@JonnyMac said:
    The only thing missing for me is the "blob/block select" (Alt + drag-select) in Propeller Tool. I have found this in other editors, too, and make use of it. Not a deal-breaker at all, but a really nice-to-have.

The widget I'm using as text editor supports the block selection, however it is a toggle so it needs a button somewhere and/or a keyboard shortcut to enable/disable it.
    Using Alt+drag, or something like that to detect the action, doesn't seems possible.

Hi macca, I love the work you have done on "Spin tools", thank you for your hard work.

You mentioned the "block selection" function and I have found it in the [Edit] menuand turned it on, but how can I use it?
    I thought I could use this to indent a block of text when changing existing code rather then going to every line and pressing TAB but I can't get it to do much.
    If I turn it on I can then select a block of text & copy or past it but I can't seem to get this new text indent relative to the old text, other then the first line every line is in the same location as before.
    If it isn't meant for this function can you please tell me where I can use this??

• @lab_ges said:
    Hi macca, I love the work you have done on "Spin tools", thank you for your hard work.

Thank you.

You mentioned the "block selection" function and I have found it in the [Edit] menuand turned it on, but how can I use it?
    I thought I could use this to indent a block of text when changing existing code rather then going to every line and pressing TAB but I can't get it to do much.
    If I turn it on I can then select a block of text & copy or past it but I can't seem to get this new text indent relative to the old text, other then the first line every line is in the same location as before.
    If it isn't meant for this function can you please tell me where I can use this??

As of now, copy/paste, more or less like the normal selection, is the only thing it does.

• One of the nice features of Propeller Tool is the ability to select a group of lines and indent (Tab) or un-indent (Shift+Tab) them together. I hope this feature finds its way into Spin Tools.

• Lately I have been working more and more with Spin Tools IDE (0.33.0), but I also often get errors when I use upload to flash (EEprom). Message: EEPROM programming timeout

Loading into RAM works fine. I never had these problems with Propeller Tool (v1.3.2).
    What could be the cause of this?

• @"Rob v.d. berg" said:
    Lately I have been working more and more with Spin Tools IDE (0.33.0), but I also often get errors when I use upload to flash (EEprom). Message: EEPROM programming timeout

Loading into RAM works fine. I never had these problems with Propeller Tool (v1.3.2).
    What could be the cause of this?

I guess you are talking about the P1 programming, given the Propeller Tool version and the error message.

I wrote that code a long time ago and so far I never had any problem programming the EEPROM. Could be really a timeout, I have mainly Microchip EEPROMs 24LC* or 24FC* models, can you tell what EEPROM are you using ?

• I use also Microchips EEPROMS 24LC256, and 2K2 as pull up resistor

• @"Rob v.d. berg" said:
    I use also Microchips EEPROMS 24LC256, and 2K2 as pull up resistor

Should not have any problem then, I'm always using 4k7 pull-ups on both SDA and SCL lines, don't know if this makes any difference.
    Very hard to debug. All I can tell is that the error message is thrown after 2 seconds of waiting for the EEPROM write complete (which is done by the Propeller itself, after uploading the whole program to RAM), I can increase the timeout. Will look at the other loader sources if there are differences.

• I use P1. 4k7 is the standaard value, less is more current and steeper flanks.
    With a standaard Propeller Proto Board (Parallax), and a very simple program I have the same issue

• RaymanRayman Posts: 13,984

Maybe it’s the size of the binary? Works fine for small ones, time-out in big ones?

• no it's not the size, even a (very) small program (att) gives problems.
    Loading in only RAM works within 2 sec's. The problem is not always present, about 1 in 10 times it goes well

• @Rayman said:
    Maybe it’s the size of the binary? Works fine for small ones, time-out in big ones?

If I'm not wrong, the P1 always writes the whole 32k to the EEPROM, the actual program size should not matter.

@"Rob v.d. berg" said:
    no it's not the size, even a (very) small program (att) gives problems.
    Loading in only RAM works within 2 sec's. The problem is not always present, about 1 in 10 times it goes well

Given that sometimes it works (even if much less than I tought...) I think the timeout is just too short, maybe some chips takes a bit more time to write a block.

• I recently got a new HP Laptop that is running Windows 11 Pro. I've been slowly re-installing software. I've got PNut and Flexprop running.

I would like to try out the Spin Tools IDE, I've tried to determine what are all the pieces and steps I need in order to do this.

It appears that I need Java or at least the runtime version of it. I guess I need Eclipse too, but what version/environment. What else besides the Spin Tools IDE Software in Macca's Git repository is needed?

I haven't found anything that specifically states what it is I need to do and run...

• @"Francis Bauer" said:
    I recently got a new HP Laptop that is running Windows 11 Pro. I've been slowly re-installing software. I've got PNut and Flexprop running.

I would like to try out the Spin Tools IDE, I've tried to determine what are all the pieces and steps I need in order to do this.

It appears that I need Java or at least the runtime version of it. I guess I need Eclipse too, but what version/environment. What else besides the Spin Tools IDE Software in Macca's Git repository is needed?

I haven't found anything that specifically states what it is I need to do and run...

Because it is all self-contained...
    I have moved the links on the signature to GitHub but maybe the page on my site is a bit more clear:
    https://www.maccasoft.com/spin-tools-ide/

If you want to just run the program, download one of the packages from GitHub releases page. The package with the -jre suffix also includes the Java runtime so you don't need anything else.

If you want to help with the development, then you need Eclipse (any version with the Java Development Environment and Maven m2e plugins, the latest 4.30 / 2023-12 released few days ago works fine).
    Also, since it is based on Maven you don't necessarily need Eclipse.

• @macca said:

Because it is all self-contained...
    I have moved the links on the signature to GitHub but maybe the page on my site is a bit more clear:
    https://www.maccasoft.com/spin-tools-ide/

If you want to just run the program, download one of the packages from GitHub releases page. The package with the -jre suffix also includes the Java runtime so you don't need anything else.

If you want to help with the development, then you need Eclipse (any version with the Java Development Environment and Maven m2e plugins, the latest 4.30 / 2023-12 released few days ago works fine).
    Also, since it is based on Maven you don't necessarily need Eclipse.

Thank you @macca, I was able to do the download using your site page and it is now running fine on my new laptop.

I have Norton 360 installed, so I had to convince it that spinide.exe was safe to keep it from being deleted. Norton is pretty aggressive on programs that it doesn't have enough "Reputation" data to determine its overall security status.

So far Spin Tools IDE looks great, thank you very much for creating/maintaining it...

-- Francis

• Francis Bauer,

I haven't used Norton in years because it's such a resource hog.

• Hi, i have been enjoying using Spintools IDE but have just run into a strange problem.
    I have been running my computer monitors on HDMI using Display port to HDMI adaptor cables (Dell PC & Monitors) but today received the cables I had ordered and I am now using display port at both ends. The monitors and PC are unchanged, just the connection method is different.

Changing to full Display port on these monitors has caused 2 unexpected problems.
    [1] When I opened spintools IDE, at first I couldn't find the "Serial Terminal" window, it was on neither screen but since it had an icon on the tesk bar I could right click on that and use the arrow keys to move it onto the screen, that works fine, eventually.
    [2] The other thing that I can no longer find is the Find window , after I do Nothing displays on the screen, but if it do then Windows give an error "BING".
    Since the Find window has no Icon on the task bar I can think of no way to find it. shown nothing but did show the missing serial window before. Ditto Taskview also shows nothing.
    Google recommended <Alt+Space-bar and then press the M key> but once again I can't see the find window.
    Does anyone know how i might recover my missing find menu?

• @lab_ges said:
    Changing to full Display port on these monitors has caused 2 unexpected problems.

I don't think that a cable can cause such problems... and FWIW, I'm using a Dell monitor with displayport right now, no problem at all.
    If you switch back to the old connection that fixes the problems ?

[1] When I opened spintools IDE, at first I couldn't find the "Serial Terminal" window, it was on neither screen but since it had an icon on the tesk bar I could right click on that and use the arrow keys to move it onto the screen, that works fine, eventually.
    [2] The other thing that I can no longer find is the Find window , after I do Nothing displays on the screen, but if it do then Windows give an error "BING".
    Since the Find window has no Icon on the task bar I can think of no way to find it. shown nothing but did show the missing serial window before. Ditto Taskview also shows nothing.

What OS are you using ? Any update done between the cable changes ?
    There may be some rendering glitches with Wayland on Linux (always disable Wayland!), but I'm not aware of any problems with other OSes.

• lab_geslab_ges Posts: 64
    edited 2023-12-13 16:39

Thanks for the reply @macca, Great program you have here!

Hi I am running Windows 11 Pro.
    I was using the PC and Spin tools this morning with no problems.
    I turned off the PC, replaced the cables and adapters and turned the PC back on, the problems occured streight away, in that I couldn't see the terminal window, it took a bit longer to findout about the Find Window.

Nothing else has changed that i know about but it is Windows, so who knows?, but there were no updates waiting to be loaded when I turned the PC off.

Is there a place where you store the window locations for these windows, it seems to have corrupted that location wherever it is, I am unable to use search at the moment just nothing happens.
    I haven't swapped the cables back, I tidided up after myself too well as I expected no issues. Will try to test now and will get back to you.