Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Help understanding the fundamentals with spinning up a new COG in spin2. — Parallax Forums

Help understanding the fundamentals with spinning up a new COG in spin2.

So looking through Jon's jm_rgbx_pixel.spin2 and I got lost for a moment trying to understand how the hubRAM VAR structure is handed off to the new COG. So in SPIN1, I recall handing off the PTR, same way it is done with ptra. We would have to populate the local COG registers using rdbyte/word/long and mov to get the VAR values to a locally named COG register. This process is expedited in jm_rgbx_pixel.spin2 by using SETQ in combination with rdlong, where it copies 10 longs, starting at the @newconnection address to the newcon register.

Should I assume that SETQ increases both the S and D address of RDLONG?

The description of SETQ in the PASM2 is very terse and is only states:
"Set Q to D. Use before RDLONG/WRLONG/WMLONG to set block transfer. Also used before MUXQ/COGINIT/QDIV/QFRAC/QROTATE/WAITxxx."

I guess that is the only way a block transfer would work, is by increasing both.

Can I also assume that the structure of the named reserved cog registers must be exactly the same order as the VARs for the copied block?

If all of these assumptions are correct, this is SO nice!

Please pardon me if this is all too obvious. I have to talk it out to "get it" sometimes.

Thanks,
Terry

var

long  cog

' do not modify order; this structure passed to PASM cog
  '
  long  newconnection                                           ' new conection when != 0
  long  p_pixels                                                ' pointer to active pixel buffer
  long  npixels                                                 ' number of pixels in buffer
  long  txpin                                                   ' active transmit pin
  long  pixbits                                                 ' bits/pixel (24 or 32)
  long  resetticks                                              ' ticks in reset period
  long  rgfix                                                   ' swap r&g?
  long  t0h                                                     ' bit0 high time (ticks)
  long  t1h                                                     ' bit1 high time (ticks)
  long  cycleticks                                              ' ticks in 1.25us

Dat Section

dat { auto-run driver }

org       0

pix_driver      setq      #10-1                                 ' get 10 longs from hub
                rdlong    newcon, ptra

mov       t1, #0
                wrlong    t1, ptra                              ' tell hub we're connected

rgbx_main       rdlong    newcon, ptra                  wz      ' check for new connection
    if_nz       jmp       #pix_driver

mov       addr, p_hub                           ' point to rgbbuf[0]
                mov       npix, pixcount                        ' set # active pixels

Named long reservations in the DAT section

' --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

newcon          res       1                                     ' new connection flag
p_hub           res       1                                     ' pointer to pixel buffer in use
pixcount        res       1                                     ' # pixels in buffer
tx              res       1                                     ' output pin
pixelbits       res       1                                     ' bits per pixel
resettix        res       1                                     ' frame reset timing
swapflag        res       1                                     ' if !0, swap R & G
bit0hi          res       1                                     ' bit0 high timing
bit1hi          res       1                                     ' bit1 high timing
cycletix        res       1                                     ' 1.25us cycle ticks

addr            res       1                                     ' address of current rgbw pixel
npix            res       1                                     ' # of pixels to process
colorbits       res       1                                     ' rgbw for current pixel

Comments

• Yes, SETQ #N + RDLONG will read N+1 consecutive longs from hubRAM into N+1 consecutive cogRAM locations. Same for WRLONG/WMLONG. Note that it is N+1, so SETQ #0 will still read just a single long, #1 will read two longs, etc.

Also note that this only works for long-sized operations.