Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Chapter 4 Activities 4-6 — Parallax Forums

Chapter 4 Activities 4-6

lynnhhlynnhh Posts: 10
edited 2022-01-26 05:01 in BASIC Stamp

Hello,

I have a homework board and I am working through chapter 4. On activities 4-6 I cannot get my servo to go past 45 degrees in any direction. It gets stuck there and twitchs a little then nothing.

Any wisdom that could be shared would be appreciated. I attached my code for 4, 5, and 6.

Comments

• GenetixGenetix Posts: 1,740
    edited 2022-01-26 13:01

lynnhh,

You're using a Parallax Standard Servo?

Servos act strange and do things like twitch when the battery gets weak.
    Try another 9V battery because Servos are quite power hungry.

• Do you have a picture of your setup?

• Here is a document to show how to set up a Homework Board with external power supply. Other good information in the document.

• @Publison said:
    Here is a document to show how to set up a Homework Board with external power supply. Other good information in the document.

It was my batteries, The code will only run once without killing it.

• Good to know. That document I linked to shows how to connect an external supply to just the servo so it should never take anything off the 9V battery.

• ercoerco Posts: 20,244

Yes, 9V batteries die quickly in high-current situations... like driving servos. I forget, is the servo powered directly by 9V or through the regulator? Bad either way.

You would do better with 6 volts from four AA batteries in a holder, like a BoeBot uses.

• erco,

I forget where I heard this but WAM just uses a 9V for the Servo because it's only for a little while.
    For some reason Mike Green comes to mind.

When in doubt, look at the documentation.
    WAM shows power from VDD and the schematic shows VDD is 5V from the Regulator.
    The VIN pins are 9V.