Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Is the propeller 8 distinct processors or is it similar to a DMA function of a standard processor. — Parallax Forums

Is the propeller 8 distinct processors or is it similar to a DMA function of a standard processor.

Hello all ,

I have not seen very much information about this topics. Where would I find more ? Is each cog able to run as an independent processor utilizing and sharing one memory. If so how is that sharing that memory done and is there somewhere to find documentation, more direct than the example s they give.

Harry

Comments

• Please download the current Propeller tool:

https://www.parallax.com/package/propeller-tool-software-for-windows-spin-assembly-2/

Open the tool and go to Help menu. There is a full P1 manual and Data Sheet.

Ask more if you are lost.

• evanhevanh Posts: 15,188
    edited 2021-09-29 18:01

Eight symmetrical CPU cores. 32-bit RISC. The Prop1 cores can't execute from shared memory, only from local register space. Sharing is done in round-robin slicing - See animated GIF on left side of forum webpage.

• Cluso99Cluso99 Posts: 18,069

Yes, 8 true independent 32-bit CPU cores with their own private 2KB RAM which also double as 512x32bit directly addressable registers.
    Then they share the common 32KB Hub RAM and 32KB Hub ROM in time slicing of 1:16 clocks.
    They also share the common 32 I/O pins.