Shop Learn
Digital Clock with the Parallax P1 Microcontroller — Parallax Forums

Digital Clock with the Parallax P1 Microcontroller

LudisLudis Posts: 51
edited 2021-07-13 00:04 in Customer Projects

I’m happy to share with you my digital clock with the Parallax P1 microcontroller.

Thanks to Parallax, @JonnyMac , and the forums.

Objective:
-Learn how to use the P1/P2 Microcontrollers and how to write drivers.
-I wanted a creative clock and alarm for my office to help me keep track of time.

How:
-Digital clock with Segment LEDs and 2x 50 pixel LEDs
-Real Time Clock with temperature compensation and battery backup
-Visual alarm that displays a pixel LED “light show” on every passing hour.
-Temperature and humidity indications
-Ability to adjust brightness and color of pixel LEDs and to adjust brightness of segmented displays
-Ability to adjust the weekday, month, day, year, hour, minute, and civilian or military time

What:
-Parallax P1 Microcontroller, Propeller Mini package
-HT16K33, Adafruit Featherwing, 16 and 8 Segment LEDs, I2C
-CM2302 Temperature and Humidity Sensor, One Wire
-DS3231 Real Time Clock, I2C
-2x 50 Pixel LEDs WS2811, One Wire
-3x KY040 encoders with pushbuttons
-Prop Plug
-ATX PSU 250W
-12VDC Wall PSU 8A

Notes:
-This uses methods learned from JonnyMac’s P2 presentations and coding! I probably couldn’t have learned this without his presentation.
-I started with the P1 because the documentation available at the time was a little easier for me to read. I will be moving to the P2 next.
-I really enjoyed learning how to write the drivers. I wrote my own versions based on JonnyMac’s example coding and the datasheets.
-The coding is about 1750 total lines of code. Includes SPIN and PASM.
-Includes drivers for I2C, one-wire, and encoders. IC drivers include DS3231, CM2302, WS2811, and HT16K33
-The cogs are really powerful! They make coding much easier. Took me some time to figure out using cogs with PASM.
-The clock and Pixel LEDs sit behind my computer. Randomly 1 out of 3 pixel light shows are displayed to signify the passing hour. I see the light show and it helps me keep track of time when I’m using my computer or desk. I can become so focused that I lose track of time easily.
-I’ve tracked the RTC time versus my computer time and they are extremely close over weeks period.
-My dad made the digital clock box out of oak wood based on my specifications. Turned out great! Thanks, Dad! Looking into 3D printer for the next project.
-All the electrical components are solderless.
-This project took me ~6 months at a medium pace.
-Schematic made with KiCad.

Thanks for looking! Ask questions anytime. – Ludis, Pittsburgh PA USA

Functional Requirements:
See attached functional requirements document

Schematic:
See attached electrical schematic

Video:

Comments

• VonSzarvasVonSzarvas Posts: 2,415
    edited 2021-07-11 15:57

Fantastic job @Ludis

The encoders work really well; nice and responsive, quick to use, and a reassuring solid click as you press them to select.

Seems the parts inside the box fit about perfectly- not much space wasted :) That box turned out well.

The oscillating LEDs remind me of a kidney. Not sure why, maybe the color :) Pretty cool feature.

Thanks for making the video and inspiring me (and I hope many others) with what you've created.

• sam_sam_samsam_sam_sam Posts: 2,245
    edited 2021-07-11 17:57

Fantastic job I really like what you did with this project :)
    I like the LED light bulbs where did you find could please post a website link to where you can find them thanks

• @VonSzarvas said:
    Fantastic job @Ludis

The encoders work really well; nice and responsive, quick to use, and a reassuring solid click as you press them to select.

Seems the parts inside the box fit about perfectly- not much space wasted :) That box turned out well.

The oscillating LEDs remind me of a kidney. Not sure why, maybe the color :) Pretty cool feature.

Thanks for making the video and inspiring me (and I hope many others) with what you've created.

Thanks, @VonSzarvas, I do appreciate your feedback. Yes the responsiveness of the encoders and the pixel LEDs turned out really well. Arranging everything inside the box took a number of revisions and a few mistakes lol. In the end it worked out. I'm glad this can inspire you and others. I hope the schematic can help out as well.

• @sam_sam_sam said:
    Fantastic job I really like what you did with this project :)
    I like the LED light bulbs where did you find could please post a website link to where you can find them thanks

Thank you very much @sam_sam_sam . The pixel LEDs (50 pc each) are posted on the Parallax website under the P2 Live Forum Holiday Spin2 Kit SKU 64030. These use the WS2811 chips. I purchased a set for JonnyMac's presentation then I liked them so much I purchased another one and decided to use both! lol

https://parallax.com/product/p2-live-forum-holiday-spin2-kit/

https://youtube.com/watch?v=59oUoNd9TbQ Spin 2 Beginners Series Part 1: RGB LEDs with JonnyMac

• PublisonPublison Posts: 11,960

Fantastic project!

It is customary when you post to Customer Projects that you post the code and PCB files. If you have a problem with that, I understand.

• LudisLudis Posts: 51
    edited 2021-07-14 17:19

@Publison said:
    Fantastic project!

It is customary when you post to Customer Projects that you post the code and PCB files. If you have a problem with that, I understand.

OK @Publison I haven't decided yet what i want to do for providing the coding. I do agree that is a necessary part of learning the P1 and P2. Until I decide, anyone can ask about specifics and I can provide, as necessary. Thanks.

• Cluso99Cluso99 Posts: 17,835

Congratulations. A really nice project. Thanks for sharing.

• @Cluso99 said:
    Congratulations. A really nice project. Thanks for sharing.

Thank you, @Cluso99 . Much appreciated. I'm looking forward to working with the forums on the next project.