Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Sensor Box Kit questions — Parallax Forums

Sensor Box Kit questions

Buck RogersBuck Rogers Posts: 2,161
edited 2021-04-23 18:20 in Accessories

Hello!
Question, the text box for the board says "The enclosure itself has an assortment of different knock-out points to accommodate a wide variety of Parallax sensors, LCD screens and hardware stands. " Okay great. But I also use the LCD displays such as the
Parallax 4x20 Serial LCD with Piezospeaker (Backlit)

Parallax 2x16 Serial LCD with Piezospeaker (Backlit)

But LCD screens? That's different than those displays. And the videos didn't specify including either of the two devices. Incidentally @"Ken Gracey" that was my sticking point regarding putting the box to work. It was going to contain a Supercarrier board and either of those two displays. The program to be run on it would have been my gathering from an external source one.

t would have been a BOESheild on top of a Netduino, but since they always end up wearing a prototype shield on top of the BOESheild and both would have contained the circuits which would have sent stuff out to that idea. The big problem about the size of Bigfoot would have been one of "Can a BOESheild on a Netduino and a prototype shield on the BOE one, with circuitry on them, fit inside the Sensor Box?" I kept getting stranger than fiction responses from that one.

Mascot asleep.

Comments

• @"Buck Rogers" said:
    Hello!
    Question, . . . It was going to contain a Supercarrier board and either of those two displays. . . . a BOESheild on top of a Netduino,
    . . . on top of the BOESheild and both would have contained the circuits . . . . The big problem about the size of Bigfoot would have been
    . . . "Can a BOESheild on a Netduino and a prototype shield on the BOE one, with circuitry on them, fit inside the Sensor Box?"

You list a bunch of different boards so it's kind of hard to discern your exact question.
    From the product's page photo, I think it can be safe to assume a Propeller Activity Board can fit in the enclosure. For other hardware, I'd suggest assembling the parts you want to use (including standoffs) and measure the size of the assembly. Based on the dimensions of the PAB and the box, I'd say the inside of the box is 1/2" smaller than the outside dimensions of the box. So make sure your collection of boards and standoffs fit within a box 4.0" x 3.2" x 1.9" (my guess for the inside dimensions).

Even if your parts fit in the box, the mounting holes and access holes are unlikely to positioned where you want them. Personally, I think you're better off making your own box if you're not using one of the boards listed or a board which is the same size with same mounting holes.

But I also use the LCD displays such as the . . .

Based on the photos, it looks like there are places for both those displays. It just depends which knock out panels you remove. It also looks like an OLED screen could be used.

But LCD screens? That's different than those displays. And the videos didn't specify including either of the two devices.

Your right, they didn't show every possible combination of parts. You can find the size of those various parts on their respective product pages. This should give an idea of how similarly sized parts should fit.

Can a BOESheild on a Netduino and a prototype shield on the BOE one, with circuitry on them, fit inside the Sensor Box?

(Is this your main question?)
    Surely you can figure this out based on the size of the boards which can fit in the box. I think this problem is more the size of a Leprechaun than the size of Bigfoot.

I kept getting stranger than fiction responses from that one.

When asking questions about Bigfoot, then those types of responses seem appropriate. :wink:

In case you're unaware, it's not too hard to have custom boxes made. Years ago I used Pololu's service. Seeing their minimum price, it might make sense to have at least two copies made. I mainly used their service since I didn't have the right type of plastic sheets on hand. I've also made my own enclosures by cutting acrylic sheets with a Dremmel and other tools.

Many times, I've also used small cardboard boxes as a project box.

I'm sure you already know about using other boxes for enclosures but why waste a chance to post this award winning video.*

*OK, I admit, I gave myself the award.