Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Smart Pin A/D D/A Precision (# bits) vs Sample Rate — Parallax Forums

Smart Pin A/D D/A Precision (# bits) vs Sample Rate

Is there an existing reference here or elsewhere that benchmarks performance of the various Smart Pin A/D and D/A configurations, at least in theory? For example, for 8 bit precision, what is the highest A/D sample rate (Fs) possible on a Smart Pin. If I need only 6 bits of precision (and if this is possible on a Smart Pin), will the maximum Fs increase over the 8 bit case - by how much?

In the other extreme, can I run very slow Fs and achieve much higher A/D precision, say beyond 16-20 bits. What is highest precision possible (what limits this performance?)

Are these limits also true for Smart Pin D/A's?

Comments

• cgraceycgracey Posts: 14,133

Using SINC2 sampling mode, you can get N bits of resolution in POWER (2,N-1) clocks. For example, you can get 6-bit-resolution samples every 32 clocks. At 320MHz, that would be 10 Msamples/second.

You can practically go up to 8,192 clocks to get 14-bit samples, but 1/f noise is limiting your ability to go any further.

• OK Chip - I now understand how SINC2 trades Fs against A/D precision with the 14 bit precision limitation. The D/A side is a different mechanism - best reference I found is your video at Thanks for your help!

• evanhevanh Posts: 15,188

Chip,
    Where did you find that formula?

@evanh said:
    Chip,
    Where did you find that formula?

You mean this?

An N-bit sample requires POWER (2,N-1) clocks

That's just how the SINC2 filter works.

Well, the Sinc2 hardware generates a doubling of bits so that an N-bit sample only requires POWER (2,N/2) clocks. Eg: 32 clocks can accumulate up to a maximum of 1024 steps. Ie: Where a Sinc1 would need a single 5-bit accumulator, for Sinc2 you need two 10-bit accumulators.

@evanh said:
    Well, the Sinc2 hardware generates a doubling of bits so that an N-bit sample only requires POWER (2,N/2) clocks. Eg: 32 clocks can accumulate up to a maximum of 1024 steps. Ie: Where a Sinc1 would need a single 5-bit accumulator, for Sinc2 you need two 10-bit accumulators.

The effective number of bits is what I'm talking about. You wind up throwing away lots of LSBs to get your sample, right?

edited 2021-03-21 11:12

The smartpins have 27-bit Sinc2/Sinc3 accumulators. The 1/f numbers you've documented don't come close. There must be factors other than "just how Sinc works".

@cgracey said:
    The effective number of bits is what I'm talking about. You wind up throwing away lots of LSBs to get your sample, right?

I'd like to know more. How is that calculated?

edited 2021-03-21 23:46

@evanh said:

@cgracey said:

I'd like to know more. How is that calculated?

It was from some document I read about SINC2 and SINC3 during the FPGA work. Our hardware does work as the document advertised. I relayed all this in our own documentation about the SINC smart pin mode.

Evanh, didn't you bring all this SINC filtering up originally here on the forum? I think you were doing a lot of numerical simulations. Saucy Soliton was invloved, too. Maybe I'm forgetting somebody.

edited 2021-03-22 00:17

I certainly did! I was really keen on it because I knew it was the go to easy method just from scanning FPGA examples. But I had absolutely no idea of how it performed. The maths swamps me too often. Saucy Soliton went way ahead of me once he had the model.

Yes, I did some simulations, but they were only for proving out bugs in the different models we looked at. There was no frequency analysis from me.

Okay, I've found a reference in Jon Titus's document on smartpins - https://www.dspguide.com/ch16.htm I'll have a look at that tomorrow after work and sleep. I'm on evening shift this week.