Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
From an Arduino Newbie — Parallax Forums

From an Arduino Newbie

For newbies (like me) with a background in Arduino,

After a several months learning about the Propeller 2 I have decided to share these drafts from my learning process with this community which have given so much to me, in the hopes that it might be helpful to another newbie down the road.

I can't promise I will share any new content in the future but for now I'm sharing a Google Drive folder with the first drafts I created. The docs have commenting enabled so if you want to share your thoughts about something you find interesting, don't understand or think has to be corrected, feel free to do it. I might engage with them at a later time.

This is the link, enjoy 😉

Learning Propeller 2 for Arduino Programmers
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1w30zqE58wIcTJX4ETamYeKJJn5ZdjbRn?usp=sharing

Comments

• This is a hidden gem for Parallax. I think it's useful even if the programmer doesn't have Arduino background.
    It would be very valuable to get this in front of the Arduino crowd, since many people here are already using the Propeller 2. However, we can check the document for accuracy and offer ideas for improvement.
    Also, there's a valuable contribution that could be made. We work with a professor in mechatronics who has produced a Spin (or Spin2?) / Arduino C quick reference. This is a well-written document and properly formatted. I'm going to call his attention to this thread in case he wants to make a contribution.

Ken Gracey

• jrullanjrullan Posts: 167
    edited 2021-03-11 11:58

@"Ken Gracey" said:
    This is a hidden gem for Parallax. I think it's useful even if the programmer doesn't have Arduino background.
    It would be very valuable to get this in front of the Arduino crowd, since many people here are already using the Propeller 2. However, we can check the document for accuracy and offer ideas for improvement.
    Also, there's a valuable contribution that could be made. We work with a professor in mechatronics who has produced a Spin (or Spin2?) / Arduino C quick reference. This is a well-written document and properly formatted. I'm going to call his attention to this thread in case he wants to make a contribution.

Ken Gracey

Thank you Ken.

A bit of background, I am one of the co-founders of MakerspacePR (a makers community in Puerto Rico) and most makers in our group know or have created projects with Arduino compatible devices. Some of us are educators ourselves (full or part time) and inevitably we teach what we know and have available. I have become fascinated with the Propeller 2 and I think it has enough to attract the curiosity of already curious people (us makers and educators).

Although we are usually self-taught I think there is a need for resources that help fill the gap. I owe the Parallax community members (JonnyMac stands out) for their willingness to help me understand many of the idiosyncrasies of Spin2/Propeller2. Still, I would have loved to have more resources like this that leverages the Arduino experience to introduce the Propeller concepts. The least I could do is share what I have learned with others that could come here like me out of curiosity and could become Propeller enthusiasts as well. The more the merrier!