Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Went looking for something in my garage. Guess what I found? — Parallax Forums

Went looking for something in my garage. Guess what I found?

Cluso99Cluso99 Posts: 18,069
edited 2021-03-02 12:41 in General Discussion

I needed my 486 reference manual for something I’m working on. I thought I knew which set of boxes it was in. They are big old computer monitor boxes that 21” CRTs came in in the 90s. But I didn’t find it of course.

But, I did find my Turbo Pascal 5.0 box - original condition complete with Turbo Assembler for 386, and 5 1/4” floppies. And in the same box was my Pharlap 386 Assembler too, original box and 3 1/2” floppies. This software can boot your whole pc without dos or windoze. Anyway, I digress. Inside was a 386 reference manual! Happy Chappy :)

And another find - Apple CPM 5 1/4” floppies :). Shame I don’t have a Microsoft Z80 card or an Apple // or /// any more :(

There are other goodies in this box too. An original Apple 2400 Modem I designed for Apple and we built in Oz. Also two sets of original Apple communications Cards we designed for Apple to connect Apple // and /// to IBM Mainframes as remote terminals. And assortments of original Netcomm and Simple Modems.

Oh, and a big computer binder of 15” fanfold computer listings of many of my old micro interface boards. I’ve already found the listings I had done on microfiche, but no reader although I’m sure I could rig something up to magnify it. I still have a carton of unused fanfold paper printed with my logo.

Comments

• And I am jealous.

A long time ago, and practically in a galaxy far away, I did a lot programming in the BASIC dialect that Apple came up with. Same with TP, I used TP5.5 and Turbo Assembler and Turbo Debugger, for both.

Back in my younger days I did stuff I now regret online in both climates. Funny thing, packet drivers are still around as is DOS itself.

• @Cluso99 said:
    I needed my 486 reference manual for something I’m working on. I thought I knew which set of boxes it was in. They are big old computer monitor boxes that 21” CRTs came in in the 90s. But I didn’t find it of course.

But, I did find my Turbo Pascal 5.0 box - original condition complete with Turbo Assembler for 386, and 5 1/4” floppies. And in the same box was my Pharlap 386 Assembler too, original box and 3 1/2” floppies. This software can boot your whole pc without dos or windoze. Anyway, I digress. Inside was a 386 reference manual! Happy Chappy :)

And another find - Apple CPM 5 1/4” floppies :). Shame I don’t have a Microsoft Z80 card or an Apple // or /// any more :(

There are other goodies in this box too. An original Apple 2400 Modem I designed for Apple and we built in Oz. Also two sets of original Apple communications Cards we designed for Apple to connect Apple // and /// to IBM Mainframes as remote terminals. And assortments of original Netcomm and Simple Modems.

Oh, and a big computer binder of 15” fanfold computer listings of many of my old micro interface boards. I’ve already found the listings I had done on microfiche, but no reader although I’m sure I could rig something up to magnify it. I still have a carton of unused fanfold paper printed with my logo.

Say? What specie of cards were these for having an Apple // or an Apple /// (!) to connect to an unsuspecting IBM Mainframe were these? They would accept Asynch connections, what we thought of normal serial delivery methods but only reluctantly. And of course Channel attach. And that's IO Channel.

Mascot was not involved in writing this.

• Cluso99Cluso99 Posts: 18,069
    edited 2021-03-03 21:15

@"Buck Rogers"
    These were boards I designed, firstly using a Z80, then a Z8681 (Z8) and a Z8550 SCC IIRC. I held a patent to transfer across the Apple Bus at 115,200 baud without dropping characters - the best Apple could so was 1200 baud. I wrote the SDLC code (synchronous code) to connect to the IBM Mainframes in the card. I wrote the software to do File Transfer 2780 protocol. We hired a guy to do the Apple software section to do the upper levels of a 3270 controller and 3274 terminal. We demonstrated it to Jobs at Apple in the USA, and they bought it. We manufactured the product using the Apple branded product. Unfortunately the Apple //e replacement that we were pinning our high hopes on was terminated although much later re-appeared as the Apple IIGS. We sold a reasonable number of these. They of course could do Async too, but that was more of a side dish.
    If you ever heard of the IRMA board, then this is what that was. We were just 3+ years earlier.

We also built modems for these to connect to the IBM remotely.

Plenty of 36 hour days back then, but it was fun :)