Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Com Port trouble — Parallax Forums

Com Port trouble

With the P2 out now I decided to renew my long dead Spin skills. But I am stuck at the starting gate. I am using the Propeller Microcontroller book and a Propeller 1 Demo board with software ver. 2.4. Since I am using the demo board I am also using the Parallax Demo board driver for the Com port. What is happening is when I verify the board it gives back the proper info and com port but when I try to load it to ram it says "no propeller found on serial port".
I tried different drivers but no joy. Can anybody help me?

Comments

• Cluso99Cluso99 Posts: 18,069
    Carol,
    Since PropTool 2.4 is in beta for the P2, I wonder if it might be better to use a known version that works with P1.
    My version is 1.3.2 although I'm not certain that was the latest for P1 only.

I have not had any issues with drivers tho I do know others had problems with the FTDI drivers and required re-installation. I am presuming the Demo Board uses the FT232RL or you are using a PropPlug with the FT232RL?
  • The Demo board does not need a prop plug. I will try finding an earlier version of the propeller tool.
    edited 2020-12-09 07:48
    Here is proptool v1.3.2 :(
    I tried to upload the zip file but the forum refuses to accept it :(

If you PM me your email (use -dot- and -at- to obscure a little) I'll email the zip P8X32A-Setup-Propeller-Tool-v1.3.2.zip
  • I downloaded an older version of spin tool and that worked! thanks Cluso99!
    edited 2020-12-09 09:01
    Pleased you’re running :)
  • I loaded the prop tool 2.4 and merged my P1 library. Now I only have P1 demos and no P2 demos. The Bs2 has its own tool and the P1 has its own tool what about a tool for only P2 and spin2.
  • I made a suggestion on GitHub that, long-term, the Propeller Tool allows for multiple library paths so that P1 and P2 code can be isolated. I also asked for P1 and P2 favorite folders for the IDE, as the Stamp IDE does for the BS1 and BS2. Jeff Martin acknowledged these suggestions and seemed to indicate that they will be folded into the final IDE for the P1/P2. I'm still using PT 2.3 at the moment because 2.4 seems to have problems.
  • Carol HazlettCarol Hazlett Posts: 312
    edited 2020-12-09 18:53
    Well I'm only using it with my older boards to re-learn Spin. When I finish the Microcontroller book I'll go back to the newer P2 and Spin for it. Everything for the P1 is working now.
  • I wrote a lot of articles for Nuts & Volts about Spin that you might find helpful, Carol. Pretty sure you have access to those issues. :)