Where's the Spin Tutorial? — Parallax Forums

Where's the Spin Tutorial?

where_spin.png

I need it for a student I'm mentoring.

Thanks,
-Phil
600 x 261 - 160K

Comments

• If you don't find a better option, there's always Version 1.0 of the Propeller Manual.

I learned Spin from this (and the forum).
  • I couldn't agree more the P2 rollout needs a lot of work, for example I couldn't,t find a P2 eval schematic, I have the first version. The P2 tool needs to be the P2 tool, don't mix it with P1. I find myself using the flex GUI more. I guess this post should be in the P2 section.
  • Scrap the google docs, PDF is simple
  • What Google docs? I just downloaded the manual PDF from Duane's link on DropBox.

Thanks, Duane!
    -Phil
  • I missed the prop plug drivers on the new web pages.
    Not on the download tab
    And on the prop plug page there is no driver link anymore.

• I thought your looking for a spin 2 tutorial. All prop2 stuff is on google docs.
  • I'm also looking for a Spin2 Language Reference, can't find it, the documentation in Google docs is a bit advanced for me :wink: (although I'm using P1 for many projects).
    Any ideas, when will be all finish documentation ready.
  • Rayman wrote:
    When trying to access downloads, I got the message that the site isn't working; it redirected me too many times.

-Phil
  • RaymanRayman Posts: 13,805
    edited 2020-12-09 19:29
    It might be because they are pushing everything to their new website...
    What download link doesn't work?
  • Rayman wrote:
    What download link doesn't work?
    Documentation for the P1. But now all I get is a 404 instead of the "too many redirects."

-Phil
  • Duane DegnDuane Degn Posts: 10,588
    edited 2020-12-09 21:37
    I try to keep a list of tutorials in the threaded linked in my signature. Here's a direct link to the specific post.

I have tried to fix many of the links. While checking I found this useful list of Prop-BOE tutorials.

There are other useful links to be found in the comment linked above.
  • rjo__rjo__ Posts: 2,114
    Phil,

It is all a work in progress. The syntax is settled and described in engineering terms at:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/16qVkmA6Co5fUNKJHF6pBfGfDupuRwDtf-wyieh_fbqw/edit#

In the early days of the P1, I remember an 8 page document that described the P1with a few diagrams and a list of commands etc. I don't know who could read it, certainly not me.

Think of the google doc in the same context.

I'm sure that a tutorial aimed at brand new users will come along... it will have to be short and a gentle introduction as to how one actually uses the volumes of documentation that will no doubt be coming our way. I think the documentation will have to be encyclopedic, with complete executable examples for each variant of a variant. It could take 5 years to finish.

I'm never going to remember the acronyms and variants, I'll have to have a way to look through them and pick what I want... (almost every time:) I'm think about it.

What we have now is a gift
    ... if we can figure out how to open the package.

Rich

• Why the google Docs , you must have Adobe on one of your PC's, I am seeing some PDF schematics on the P2 edge, It's getting a little better. Chime in if you also don't like google docs.
  • AribaAriba Posts: 2,682
    I don't see the problem, you can download the document as PDF file from Google Docs.

Andy
  • I tried to download as a pdf, but it does nothing
  • AribaAriba Posts: 2,682
    Yes, it takes quite a while for the download to start after you clicked it.

• Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) Posts: 23,514
    edited 2020-12-10 04:31
    Oh, I see the problem. This thread is in the wrong forum. I thought sure I started it in the P1 forum. I do remember flagging a post here, though, asking that it be moved to the P2 forum. I wonder if the whole thread got moved. Mods?

Anyway, it's Spin1 that I sought tutorial material for.

-Phil
  • Indeed Phil, you asked us to move the thread to P2 and it moved. You ask again to move it back to P1 and indeed it has.

Miscommunication has never been so efficient!!

• Well, I don't wish to make a kerfuffle, but the post above that I had flagged contained this quote: "I guess this post should be in the P2 section," which I agreed with and requested that it be moved. Somehow this got construed to mean the whole thread, which wasn't my intent. But no worries, and thanks for righting things. :)

-Phil
  • I thread started with a snapshop from the Parallax website that says Propeller2, that looks P2 to me. Oh well not everyone is versed in forum protocol.
  • DigitalBob wrote: »
    Why the google Docs

Google Docs makes it easy for people to suggest changes.

I use Google Docs a lot when collaborating. Google Docs also makes it easy to access and edit a document from multiple machines.

• Phil,

I want to make sure you saw this link.

The link to the old KickStarts still works but unfortunately the other links are broken.
  • Thanks, Duane. I did see that page. The tutorials are mostly board-specific, and my tutee is using the FLiP module with a custom LED display. So I was looking for something a little more generic. The Prop Manual v1 that you pointed out looks like it will be the best resource.

Thanks again!
    -Phil
  • I see the P2 edge and breadboard have PDF. That's much better. You don't want outsiders making changes to tech. data. Anyway Parallax did a nice job on the BS2, P1 etc. P2 stuff just needs tweeking.
  • DigitalBob wrote: »
    You don't want outsiders making changes to tech. data.

Most changes are made as "suggestions". Most of us can't edit the document. We just make suggestions and if Chip or someone else who has editor privileges like the suggestions they include them in the document. It's a pretty cool system.

• Phil,

The Propeller Education Kit Text is probably one of the best ways to learn Spin, but unfortunately it doesn't show how to use CONstants except for settings the Propeller frequency.

I didn't see it on the new site and who knows how long this link will still work.
    https://www1.parallax.com/product/122-32305