Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Earth Field NMR and MRI for Bio-Effects Research — Parallax Forums

Earth Field NMR and MRI for Bio-Effects Research

Backgrounder:

By Professor Carl Michal.

https://sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S109078072030118X

Long Article... comprehensive. Best I've seen. Before trying to digest it. The good stuff is in section 4. But finding section 4 is a treat. So... do a find for "covid" the first reference explains the rationale... the second will land you squarely in section 4:) describing what Carl is doing with an Arduino.

Bio-effects researchers need everything that Professor Michal is doing and more including the ability to generate cyclotronic frequencies and electron-paramagnetic frequencies. Generally speaking from a few Hz up to about 100MHz.

The first step will be to build a functioning low field solenoidal nmr spectrometer with all of the added goodies and make it work.

The "Earth Field" is a bit misleading... at the end of the day, "zero-field" might be a better description.

Regards,

Rich

Comments

• kwinnkwinn Posts: 8,697
    rjo__ wrote: »
    Backgrounder:

By Professor Carl Michal.

https://sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S109078072030118X

Long Article... comprehensive. Best I've seen. Before trying to digest it. The good stuff is in section 4. But finding section 4 is a treat. So... do a find for "covid" the first reference explains the rationale... the second will land you squarely in section 4:) describing what Carl is doing with an Arduino.

Bio-effects researchers need everything that Professor Michal is doing and more including the ability to generate cyclotronic frequencies and electron-paramagnetic frequencies. Generally speaking from a few Hz up to about 100MHz.

The first step will be to build a functioning low field solenoidal nmr spectrometer with all of the added goodies and make it work.

The "Earth Field" is a bit misleading... at the end of the day, "zero-field" might be a better description.

Regards,

Rich

Thanks for posting that Rich. I spent a big chunk of my career working in the medical imaging and analytical instrument areas so this is an interesting idea for me to pursue.
  • rjo__rjo__ Posts: 2,114
    Absolutely fascinating stuff. I think all of the "rules" are going to turn out to be limiting assumptions. For example if we assume that the behavior of elementary particles can be described by quantum electrodynamics... and we get some results.... it doesn't prove that other assumptions might be closer to the truth.
    Results at low fields are going to push the high end along. Professor Michal doesn't exactly say what it all implies... but his results on myelination are absolutely stunning
  • I second that it's absolutely fascinating and a great hands-on introduction into the resonance techniques. I lament the fact that I used to know a bit about it, as the physics department where I did my undergrad was doing lots of work with NMR, at various scales. I forgot it all since - so thank you, the article, and the ones linked from it, are great. Applying P2 to such measurement problems can be quite fruitful, as it just begs to use its multi-channel analog capabilities.