Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Prop Boards present — Parallax Forums

Prop Boards present

Hello!
Okay, I have here the one PAB (Old style, not WX version.) and
One Prop Project Board and
Five QuickStart Boards. Four in Retail clamshell packaging and one in the traditional antistatic bag.
Also an equal number of accessory boards. Including the original QuickStart Proto Board PCB that's the one who does not have its connectors.

I guess what I am wondering here about is that the Prop Project Board expects to be powered via a battery pack or the USB during programming. And the QS boards are an anomaly. The PAB gets powered from the battery pack, but is connected during programming.

Advice please.
---
No mascot.

Comments

• Advice please.

Was there a question?

The QuickStart board doesn't have a "normal" power connecter but it can be powered from a battery using its Vin pin. Alternatively, you can add a Human Interface Board to the QuickStart. The Human Interface Board has a power jack. Unfortunately the Human Interface Board is discontinued.

Your thread about powering the QuickStart has suggestions one how to power it from a battery pack. I think you are correct when suggesting the power requirements for the QuickStart are a bit of an anomaly compared to other Propeller boards.

Fortunately 5V is a common voltage for many portable power sources. I often use a single LiIon with appropriate circuitry to power QuickStart boards. I'll post a link to discussion of these boards when I find it. I think it's one of erco's many useful finds.
  • Duane DegnDuane Degn Posts: 10,588
    edited 2020-08-27 21:47
    Here's a thread where erco shares some of his power bank finds.

Here's a device I've used to power a QuickStart board. There are both 5V and 3.3V outputs on this device.
    LiIon.PNG
    688 x 674 - 274K
  • Duane Degn wrote: »
    Advice please.

Was there a question?

The QuickStart board doesn't have a "normal" power connecter but it can be powered from a battery using its Vin pin. Alternatively, you can add a Human Interface Board to the QuickStart. The Human Interface Board has a power jack. Unfortunately the Human Interface Board is discontinued.

Your thread about powering the QuickStart has suggestions one how to power it from a battery pack. I think you are correct when suggesting the power requirements for the QuickStart are a bit of an anomaly compared to other Propeller boards.

Fortunately 5V is a common voltage for many portable power sources. I often use a single LiIon with appropriate circuitry to power QuickStart boards. I'll post a link to discussion of these boards when I find it. I think it's one of erco's many useful finds.

Actually no questions. I was looking for advice. I'm convinced that the QS is the only Prop board who is tethered to the USB programming cable. And to make it work away from the cable is just that work.
  • Duane DegnDuane Degn Posts: 10,588
    edited 2020-08-27 22:21
    I'm convinced that the QS is the only Prop board who is tethered to the USB programming cable. And to make it work away from the cable is just that work.

How do make the Propeller Project Board work without a USB programming cable? You have to solder some sort of connector to the board to use it without the USB cable.
    On a QuickStart all you need to do is connect 5V to the Vin line. No soldering required.
    I have a bunch of projects which use an untethered QuickStart. I find QuickStart boards easier to use without a USB cable than many of the other options. I often don't have the right size barrel connector to use with boards requiring barrel connectors. I have far more connectors to use with the 0.1" headers on the QuickStart board. I'm pretty sure I have more robots which use a QuickStart as brains than any other Propeller board.