Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
SD Card format to FAT32 - Windoze10 strikes again - false alarm — Parallax Forums

SD Card format to FAT32 - Windoze10 strikes again - false alarm

Cluso99Cluso99 Posts: 18,069
edited 2020-08-06 11:47 in Propeller 2
One of the SD cards I use has a few errors caused by my P2 OS testing so I thought it was time to reformat it and cleanly copy the files back to it.

So I reformatted it with Windoze 10 (Pro 1909 latest). Now I have a long filename "System Volume Information" put there by windoze. Cannot delete it either.

Anyway, I copied my files to it anyway and inserted it into my P2Eval board. Now DIR fails with too many files (I allow the table size of 512 entries) but there are only a bit over 100 files so what gives. Looking at LS I see that it displays a massive chunk of blank filenames.

Without any research, I believe windoze is not setting the unused filename directory slots status to never used. Therefore, a blank filename is being treated as a real file rather that having its' status as invalid (never used).
I haven't reformatted an SD card in a long time so I have no idea when MS broke their formatter. I cannot help thinking that this is just another move by MS to force the use of exFAT (with license fees). Maybe I'm skeptical, but it seems like "the job ain't done 'til Lotus won't run" all over again.

I am now in the process of reformatting the card using fat32format (gui version) from Ridgecrop Consultants ridgecrop.demon.co.uk/index.htm?guiformat.htm Didn't work :(

I know that TAQOZ is capable of formatting SD cards to FAT32. Peter, perhaps you would like to post to this thread on how to use TAQOZ because I think we may be in need of this going forward.

Comments