Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Parallax RFID Reader — Parallax Forums

Parallax RFID Reader

Hi, i am new to the RFID scene.
I bought some tags and a parallax rfid reader.
My goal is to develop a simple asset tracking system for our company.

I thought that the parallax rfid is plug&play meaning if i installed the drivers and scanned a tag that the code would appear as a simple keyboard input on any program , like excel or word or notepad.
However, it seems not?
Can someone please help me in the right direction. Is there someone to enable this functionality ?

Sorry for asking stupid questions....

Comments

• which model of rfid?
  • parallax rfid reader usb REV A
  • PublisonPublison Posts: 12,366
    edited 2020-08-04 14:56
    There should be a 5 digit product number on the silkscreen.
    28540 or 28340?
  • kwinnkwinn Posts: 8,697
    rickusj wrote: »
    Hi, i am new to the RFID scene.
    I bought some tags and a parallax rfid reader.

I thought that the parallax rfid is plug&play meaning if i installed the drivers and scanned a tag that the code would appear as a simple keyboard input on any program , like excel or word or notepad.
    However, it seems not?
    Can someone please help me in the right direction. Is there someone to enable this functionality ?

Sorry for asking stupid questions....

The 28340 card reader receives commands via the USB connector on the board. The RFID Card Reader USB version is activated via the DTR line of the USB Virtual COM port. From page 4 of the 28140-28340-RFID-Reader- Documentation-v2.4 "When the DTR line is set HIGH, the module will enter the active state. When the DTR line is set LOW, the module will enter the idle state. With the DTR line high and a card placed near the reader it will send the card data to the computer.
  • Thanks - i read that as well , so question is how do i set the DTR line to high ?
    I cant find any DTR setting in the device manager of the virtual com port...
  • kwinnkwinn Posts: 8,697
    I am pretty sure that is done by sending one of the ascii control characters since the USB cable has only 4 wires and they are all used for power and signalling. Most likely $04 (EOT) and $06 (ACK), but I could be wrong. My project was with the 28140 serial version of the card reader.
  • Download PST (Parallax Serial Terminal). It has a DTR checkbox that you can manually set/clear. If you have Propeller Tool installed, you already have PST. Open it, set the COM port to your reader, set the baud to 2400. Put a check in the DTR box, then bring a card near the reader.

Full disclosure: I don't have one of these, but I have used the standard TTL reader many times.
  • Thanks, but that just reads the tag into the terminal window, i need the reader to act like a keyboard input, if the tag is read by the reader must be like someone type those digits on a keyboard.
  • JonnyMacJonnyMac Posts: 9,061
    edited 2020-08-05 13:28
    Well, that's how it works. It's a serial (USB) device that presents tag data through a serial connection. It doesn't know how to emulate a keyboard.
    Now that you know how it works, you can incorporate that into your tracking system code. You'll just have to allow that system to set the reader's com port.

After doing a bit of research I found a company that makes RFID readers with the claim of keyboard emulation It turns out that they use a secondary app. A few seconds more research turned up this:
    -- https://www.232key.com/

...which may get you where you want to go with the Parallax USB reader.