Shop Learn
Propeller 2 Objects: a process to involve community and share code - Page 2 — Parallax Forums

Propeller 2 Objects: a process to involve community and share code

2»

Comments

  • Ok I loaded Alpha but I think my P1 tool is 1.2.3 . I'll look at it again. I get the bs2 you have to pick what you have Bs1, Bs2, Bs2p
  • JonnyMacJonnyMac Posts: 7,699
    edited 2020-08-14 05:48
    A lot of the features in the Stamp editor -- which is arguably more complete than Propeller Tool -- will make it over. I have in fact suggested to Jeff that the Stamp editor should be the model (of UI design) for the Propeller Tool. I have always felt like Propeller Tool was started and then abandoned -- the P2 gives us a chance to have a good Windows-based too, which, hopefully, will be cloned/copied in some fashion for Linux and Mac OS.

    You can report issues and make suggestions here:
    -- https://github.com/parallaxinc/Propeller-Tool/issues
  • I downloaded the alpha, do I have to delete to old version first? Looks like the alpha loads associates files, but when I click on the prop icon I'm back to version 1.3
  • No. Install the alpha exe into the same folder as the original (that path points there). If you want a desktop shortcut you'll need to make it manually.
  • Ok I have my spin tool 2.2. I loaded a test program from github called test control and Pins (Getting it from Github was a job in itself, If you do a raw copy for "pins" it doesn't work. So you have to delete the line numbers and fix the identation.) So it worked if I touched the pins, If I use the button control nothing. If I save the program and name it, then it doesn't load it has errors s, I called it Control.spin2. Maybe its going to the Prop 1.2 library. Anyway this is a lot of work, it would be nice when buy an eval kit it has examples that work. If I didn't already use prop1 and Bs2 and just bought the P2 eval as a newcomer, I would probaby be really dissatisfied.
  • DigitalBob wrote: »
    Ok I have my spin tool 2.2. I loaded a test program from github called test control and Pins (Getting it from Github was a job in itself, If you do a raw copy for "pins" it doesn't work. So you have to delete the line numbers and fix the identation.) So it worked if I touched the pins, If I use the button control nothing. If I save the program and name it, then it doesn't load it has errors s, I called it Control.spin2. Maybe its going to the Prop 1.2 library. Anyway this is a lot of work, it would be nice when buy an eval kit it has examples that work. If I didn't already use prop1 and Bs2 and just bought the P2 eval as a newcomer, I would probaby be really dissatisfied.

    Those code examples are for RevA silicon.
    I'll ask for those to be renamed clearly as such on Monday.
  • DigitalBob wrote: »
    Ok I have my spin tool 2.2. I loaded a test program from github called test control and Pins (Getting it from Github was a job in itself, If you do a raw copy for "pins" it doesn't work. So you have to delete the line numbers and fix the identation.) So it worked if I touched the pins, If I use the button control nothing. If I save the program and name it, then it doesn't load it has errors s, I called it Control.spin2. Maybe its going to the Prop 1.2 library. Anyway this is a lot of work, it would be nice when buy an eval kit it has examples that work. If I didn't already use prop1 and Bs2 and just bought the P2 eval as a newcomer, I would probaby be really dissatisfied.

    Those are old examples. You can find P2 objects by myself and others here:
    -- https://github.com/parallaxinc/propeller/tree/master/libraries/community/p2/All

    You might also want to have read of my online article about the P2. A couple things have changed (e.g., getms() fell out) but it's still useful.
    -- https://www.nutsvolts.com/magazine/article/an-introduction-to-the-parallax-propeller-2

    It's little comfort, I know, but -- technically -- the P2 isn't formally released. Parallax likes working with its customers hence the early release of silicon and demo board without full documentation and library.
  • JonnyMacJonnyMac Posts: 7,699
    edited 2020-08-16 17:03
    BTW... the ability to add inline assembly in P2 means that we can create a method that returns the milliseconds since reset -- this is what getms() did/will do, and is the same as the Arduino millis() function.

    This post shows how to get that functionality.
    -- http://forums.parallax.com/discussion/comment/1503253/#Comment_1503253

    Chip told me that he would try to put getms() back. I have suggested that getsec() could be replaced with getms(), as I don't think knowing the seconds since reset is as useful.
  • JonnyMac wrote: »
    I have suggested that getsec() could be replaced with getms(), as I don't think knowing the seconds since reset is as useful.

    +1

  • Cluso99Cluso99 Posts: 17,942
    edited 2020-08-16 20:30
    JonnyMac wrote: »
    BTW... the ability to add inline assembly in P2 means that we can create a method that returns the milliseconds since reset -- this is what getms() did/will do, and is the same as the Arduino millis() function.

    This post shows how to get that functionality.
    -- http://forums.parallax.com/discussion/comment/1503253/#Comment_1503253

    Chip told me that he would try to put getms() back. I have suggested that getsec() could be replaced with getms(), as I don't think knowing the seconds since reset is as useful.
    +1

    IIRC there is a max for getms()?

    Getsec can be achieved easily with
    PUB getsecs(secs)
      repeat secs
        getms(1000)
    

  • The getsecs() function returns the seconds elapsed since reboot; it reads the 64-bit cnt value and divides it by the system clock frequency. I would prefer getms() which matches the Arduino millis() function; better granularity and will help those porting Arduino code to the P2.
    IIRC there is a max for getms()?
    It would be an unsigned 32-bit value. That works out to about 49 days before a roll-over. Some code, though, would need to account for this, those most programs would use getms() for simple, differential timing.
  • The github program worked in prop tool 2.2 , when I loaded it into ram. But when I save it, is where the problem occurs. I name it ..spin2, but it doesn't work, like it saveed as a spin1. If I raw, cut, paste right out of github it works. And my accy button panel doesn't work, if I just touch the pins I can see led's light up . It could be the pins numbers in the program don't match up. I"m just thinking back to when I bought my P1kit, it came with a paper manual and the spin tool that had the lesson's in the tree and a nice library. The P2 looks like a powerful CPU, but us lower end idiot''s would like some good demo's to tinker with. Just curious why the serial terminal is grayed out in prop tool 2.2.
  • roglohrogloh Posts: 3,522
    edited 2020-08-17 04:33
    A 64 bit getms() would be able to do what we need and is more useful than seconds for event timing etc. Anyone who need things in seconds could still divide by 1000 and we do have 64 bit divide capabilities in the CORDIC. So maybe if the API changes, getms() can return a pair and if you only need the lower 32 bits you just use that part of the result, or if you want all of it you can use both 32 bit results.

    If we can't get millis directly, then at least accessing the 64 bit counter from SPIN2 would be useful. The only other way to get it where it won't wrap quickly seems to be with inline PASM.
  • Cluso99Cluso99 Posts: 17,942
    JonnyMac wrote: »
    The getsecs() function returns the seconds elapsed since reboot; it reads the 64-bit cnt value and divides it by the system clock frequency. I would prefer getms() which matches the Arduino millis() function; better granularity and will help those porting Arduino code to the P2.
    IIRC there is a max for getms()?
    It would be an unsigned 32-bit value. That works out to about 49 days before a roll-over. Some code, though, would need to account for this, those most programs would use getms() for simple, differential timing.
    Silly me :( Need more coffee!
    I was thinking of waitms
  • Again, we're in the early days and things are not as smooth as they will be. Do you have the accessory kit? If so, you can find my objects for the LED matrix and the control board online -- there are zip files with demos.
  • I'll check it out, I have the full accy. Kit, I was going to buy the hyper ram, but I want to figure out this spin2 first. I understand you guys are ironing out the bugs. But I'm just giving my customer feedback.
  • I'm a customer, too. That said, I've been programming Parallax micros since 1994, and the Graceys are my friends. Spin2 is not a lot different from Spin1, but you'll want to proceed carefully. I've been working bit-by-bit since Spin2 was released, and now it's second nature. Give yourself a little time each day and won't take long to get the hang of it.
  • This describes exactly where we are at present https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Early_adopter

    We've done our best to communicate where we are in the process of product release; please let me know what we could do better in this phase.

    We're looking at late October or early November for a formal release.

    Ken Gracey
  • As you work out the details I'd say let P1 be your model. P1 great tool, good docs., demos. The P2 things are kind of scattered. For example if I go to P2 in the store for eval. Board, not all the details are there like the schematic, I had to look at some forum post to find it. If I go to P1 it has all of the info I need, same with Bs2. So under P2 eval in the store list the schematic, proptool and maybe some JonnyMac demo's. And I'm still wondering about the serial terminal is that something in the works for spin2. I've used P1 in many projects from synchro resolver readouts AD2S80 Function gen with the AD9850, 8 Ch. Adc 0-10v, 8 ch Dac 0-10v, 8 ch thermocouple, flow computer, 10,000 hp water brake dyno control, Bs2 as a rate meter, Bs2 as a process meter, P1 and Bs2 as a Labview interface etc.
  • DigitalBob wrote: »
    Just curious why the serial terminal is grayed out in prop tool 2.2.

    That's because the alpha version of PropellerTool is not yet published as an installer that includes all the extras, such as demos, templates and Parallax Serial Terminal (PST).

    You could find the PST .exe file in the old PŕopellerTool directory and copy it over to wherever you have the new PropellerTool alpha exe. Then it will appear ungreyed in the menu.
  • DigitalBob wrote: »
    As you work out the details I'd say let P1 be your model. P1 great tool, good docs., demos. The P2 things are kind of scattered. For example if I go to P2 in the store for eval. Board, not all the details are there like the schematic, I had to look at some forum post to find it. If I go to P1 it has all of the info I need, same with Bs2. So under P2 eval in the store list the schematic, proptool and maybe some JonnyMac demo's. And I'm still wondering about the serial terminal is that something in the works for spin2. I've used P1 in many projects from synchro resolver readouts AD2S80 Function gen with the AD9850, 8 Ch. Adc 0-10v, 8 ch Dac 0-10v, 8 ch thermocouple, flow computer, 10,000 hp water brake dyno control, Bs2 as a rate meter, Bs2 as a process meter, P1 and Bs2 as a Labview interface etc.

    Thanks DigitalBob. This week we'll be formalizing our plan for release, clarifying the steps. We'll certainly take all of this into account in our planning. There's also a new web site in the middle of this, to be released at the same time. The intent is to bring the P2 and it's resources forward so our customers can have an easy start.

    BTW, are you participating in the P2 Live Forum? Join in!

    Ken Gracey
Sign In or Register to comment.