Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
WiFi SIP and FLiP — Parallax Forums

WiFi SIP and FLiP

I just got my Parallax delivery, and what I need to see is the official recommendation as to how to connect the WiFi SIP module to the FLiP module.

Ray

Comments

• Hi Ray,

I'm not sure there is an official recommendation as such a configuration is not included anywhere on the Parallax sites.
    Learn examples all refer users to program using the USB cable.

You might be the pioneer of this technique!

I would think the place to start is using F-F jumper wires to hook:

1. WiFi module TX to the FLiP RX pin
    2. WiFi module RX to the FLiP TX pin
    3. WiFi module CTS to the FLiP RES pin
    4. WiFi module GND to one of the FLiP GND pins.

Then login to the WiFi module web page and set the WiFi module to use CTS for reset.

With the FLiP powered up using the VIN and GND pins on the left hand side, then hopefully you can program it from Blockly or SimpleIDE.

• I just tried:
    3. WiFi module CTS to the FLiP RES pin
    That does not work for me, SimpleIDE responds with "... cannot find the Propeller chip.".

The setup that I am using is a wire connected to the DI (#3 via) on the WiFi SIP, and the FLiP RES pin. This seams to work most of the time, but not all of the time.
    I'm not sure there is an official recommendation as such a configuration is not included anywhere on the Parallax sites.
    Hmm, maybe we are not supposed to be using the WiFi WX SIP module with a FLiP module.

Ray
  • Rsadeika wrote: »

Hmm, maybe we are not supposed to be using the WiFi WX SIP module with a FLiP module.

Ray

I wouldn't come to that conclusion. There are endless combinations and ways to achieve things. It's good to experiment and create new things that others have not thought of yet. We 'are' supposed to :)

• I think the problem is that you have the USB serial interface "in the way" and no easy way to disconnect it. I've had success using the Prop-Mini with both the SIP and DIP WiFi modules for downloading programs using proploader and for communicating wirelessly. I've had to build a simple reset buffer using an NPN switching transistor, a capacitor and a couple of resistors ... taken directly from the schematic of the PropPlug.
  • Still trying to determine where the problem is, is it my home WiFi, the USB WiFi dongle, the WX SIP module, or everything has a part to play.

If I ever get the robot to be autonomous, will have to have some kind of guaranteed way of talking to the Propeller remotely, to control the robot.

Ray
  • I have a reliable wireless connection using a Prop-Mini and a SIP WiFi module. The FLIP module should work in a similar fashion as follows. Have a look at the schematic and guide for both the WiFi module and the FLIP module:

SIP WiFi module DO connects to FLIP P31
    SIP WiFi module DI connects to FLIP P30
    SIP WiFi GND connects to FLIP GND and power ground
    SIP WiFi Vin connects to FLIP 3.3V
    Power source (+5-9V) connects to FLIP Vin

Next part is tricky. You need an NPN switching transistor like a 2N2222A or 2N3904, a 10K resistor, and a 0.01uF ceramic capacitor (rated for about 16V). Look at the schematic for the FLIP module, page 3 or the schematic for the PropPlug. The capacitor connects to DTR# on the WiFi module (DIP pin #18). You'll have to solder a short wire to the DIP pin if you're using the SIP module. The transistor collector connects to the FLIP module's RESET pin. There's a ground connection as well to the FLIP's GND pins.

Once this is all hooked up and the WiFi module is configured via its configuration web page, you should be able to download programs to the FLIP using SimpleIDE (proploader) and, if you use the "-t" option on proploader, should be able to communicate serially with your program. Default Baud is 115200.
  • In my other thread, I described an issue with the WX SIP module. It seems that WX SIP module becomes unresponsive after sitting idle for awhile. Not sure what the time length is for the idle time. You need a power off and then a power on, to get the module to be responsive.

Not sure if this is a faulty WX SIP module, or is this some kind of feature for the WX WiFi SIP module. Anybody else experiencing something like this.

Ray
  • I have a couple of DIP modules and have not seen this issue.

Need to determine if this is a firmware or hardware issue.

1. is it connected to the router?
    2. is serial being blocked?

Mike
  • I let the WX WiFi SIP module sit for awhile, long enough to have it go unresponsive to SimpleIDE and Tera Term. I then opened the network connections on my Windows 10 Pro system, went ahead and connected to the WX and then ..4.1 to get to the module.

At this point the module is still responsive, because I was able to check the settings and the network components. I have it set for STA+AP mode, and it shows its Station IP Address.

So far it looks like the module hardware is OK, maybe it is a firmware problem for the WX WiFi SIP module. Since I just bought this, I would imagine it has the latest firmware, not sure what the problem is.

I have this on a breadboard along with the FLiP module, for testing purposes, it sits close enough that can just pull the wire where it gets its 3.3V from the FLip to do a power off/on.

Ray
  • Both the SIP and DIP modules share the same firmware file, if that info helps !

• Both the SIP and DIP modules share the same firmware file, if that info helps !
    So, does that mean I have a bad WX WiFi SIP module? What is the next step.

Ray

• Rsadeika wrote: »
    Both the SIP and DIP modules share the same firmware file, if that info helps !
    So, does that mean I have a bad WX WiFi SIP module? What is the next step.

Ray

Anything is possible, but I'd lean toward thinking it unlikely. I'd look at the code first; maybe try to add some diagnostics to figure out where the apparent lock-up is happening, and then go from there.
  • There is also a debug page on the unit. So if you send commands from the flip to the unit it will show up on the debug page. It could tell you what it sees and what it doesn't like.

You say it is unresponsive so what are you doing that tells you this. Since it is set as STA+AP it has nothing to talk to. Unless you send it a command it will just pass the data to the unit and then to a bit bucket.

Mike
  • You say it is unresponsive so what are you doing that tells you this.
    I will use SimpleIDE as the example. After creating my program, I will then try to select the port where the FLiP is available, on the WX WiFi. Usually, just after powering up the FLiP+WiFi, the port appears and the connection is made.

What is now occurring, while the WX WiFi is still powered up, a short idle time occurs, meaning I have not tried to load the FLiP, the port becomes unavailable. Usually the port appears in the port list but when I try to program the FLiP an error appears, something like, unable to access the port or load the program.

I double checked that with the use of Tera Term, it usually states that it cannot make the connection.

When I do power off/on the WX WiFi module, and try, what I just described above, the port becomes available, and I can load the FLiP.

During the "unresponsive" time I have checked that I have WiFi access, and yes, I can log into the WX module via ..4.1.

This is a general description of what is going on.

Now, it was mentioned that the WX WiFi DIP, which is used with the Activity Board, has the same firmware as the WX WiFi SIP. Well, I was using an Activity Board+WX WiFi DIp, on the same computer system, and I was not seeing the same problem, I only started to see problem when I started to use the FLiP+WX WiFi.

So, the mystery still remains, not sure what diagnostic tools or procedures I could conjure up the pin point the problem.

Ray
  • What your describing is not a standard setup since a Propeller Flip does not have an interface for the WX module.

The way the remote code works is that it starts up a UDP port on the WX and listens for a packet to be broadcasted to it which it in turn responses with it's IP address and name.

The remote code is load by first sending a small program over WiFi to a URL which in turn starts that program on the Propeller that is then looking for code to be sent via the Telnet port on the WX module. At the same time Commands are disabled from being sent to the WX module to prevent program data being interpreted as commands.

On the WX module is a debug page that should show those sequence of events:
    56566> Conn req from  101.1.1.7:58933, using pool slot 0
     56567> URL = /propeller/load?baud-rate=115200&reset-pin=12&response-size=8&response-timeout=1000
     56567> GET args = baud-rate=115200&reset-pin=12&response-size=8&response-timeout=1000
     56568> Mallocced buffer for 392 + 1 bytes of post data.
     56932> Pool slot 0 is done. Closing.
     56933> Pool slot 0: socket closed.
     56934> Conn req from  101.1.1.7:58934, using pool slot 0
     56935> URL = /wx/setting?name=baud-rate&value=921600
     56935> GET args = name=baud-rate&value=921600
     56935> SET 'baud-rate' to '921600'UART: 921600 baud, 1 stop bit
     56936>  --> OK
     56939> Pool slot 0 is done. Closing.
     56940> Pool slot 0: socket closed.
     57002> Conn req from  101.1.1.7:58936, using pool slot 0
     57003> URL = /wx/setting?name=baud-rate&value=115200
     57003> GET args = name=baud-rate&value=115200
     57003> SET 'baud-rate' to '115200'UART: 115200 baud, 1 stop bit
     57004>  --> OK

You will note that the baud rate for loading data is 921600 and is then changed back to 115200.

Mike
  • Thanks everybody for all the good suggestions and advice. Time to move on.

Ray