Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Any way to extract S field of a register to another in a single instruction? — Parallax Forums

Any way to extract S field of a register to another in a single instruction?

What am I missing? If I use SETS D, S I think I need to clear the D register first, or if I do a AND S, #$1ff I destroy S.
Surely this is doable...

Comments

• roglohrogloh Posts: 5,150
    edited 2020-05-31 08:34
    Am just trying to optimize this sequence...and somehow eliminate the MOV a, #0 wcz - as I can always set Z in the ANDN later. This code has to check for zero transfer count as well as crossing a 512 byte boundary before the transfer takes place to prevent it. Taking 7 instructions right now and I reckon it could be shrunk somehow. Temporary register "a" is not used after this, but I need Z set to 1 and C=0 when I continue on and the addr1 & count registers get used so they need to remain intact.
    '..................................................................................................
    ' HYPER WRITES without latency

' a b c

' W B R  (a) word write
                                                                ' O U E  (b) burst write
                                                                ' R R G  (c) register write
                                                                ' D S 
                                                                '   T
    w_flash_burst                                                 
                                tjz     count, #nowrite_lut     '   b     ensure transfer count is non-zero
                                mov     a, #0 wcz               '   b     zero out test reg and set z flag for later, c=0
                                sets    a, addr1                '   b     get 9 LSBs of flash address
                                add     a, count                '   b     add the count
                                sub     a, #1                   '   b     find the last address
                                andn    a, #$1ff                '   b     clear lower bits
                                tjnz    a, #sizeerror           '   b     exit if this wraps past 512 byte boundary    

• Cluso99Cluso99 Posts: 18,069
    edited 2020-05-31 08:54
    There is no need to zero out a first, nor use sets. Saves an instruction.
    Also not sure about the 2 clock pipeline delay in setting a either.
                    mov     a, addr1
                    add     a, count
                    sub     a, #1
                    andn    a, #$1ff   wz  ' wz optional
                    tjnz    a, #sizeerror

and this would work too
                    mov     a, addr1
                    add     a, count
                    sub     a, #1
                    testb   a, #9      wcz '
            if_c/nz jmp     #sizeerror

edited 2020-05-31 09:29
    Unfortunately I don't think these will work Cluso. Addr1 can range from 0-$1ffffff, so its upper bits from bit9-bit24 are arbitrary. But I'm sure there is a way to shrink this code down somehow and still achieve the aims.

The sets should not have pipeline problems if we are not executing from it.
  • I can probably do this and avoid the sets entirely but I still can't save an instruction this way.
                    tjz     count, #nowrite_lut
                    mov     a, addr1
                    and     a, #$1ff
                    add     a, count
                    sub     a, #1
                    andn    a, #$1ff   wcz  ' wz optional
                    tjnz    a, #sizeerror

• evanhevanh Posts: 15,169
    edited 2020-05-31 09:59
    If D is reserved for this function then reusing SETS on it will only ever set the low 9 bits. So no need to keep clearing D beforehand. Oh, I see it explicitly looks for summing > 9 bits.

MUXQ would work but still requires a SETQ setup sometime earlier. Not really any different to clearing D first.
  • rogloh wrote: »
    I can probably do this and avoid the sets entirely but I still can't save an instruction this way.
    		tjz	count, #nowrite_lut
    		mov	a, addr1
    		and	a, #$1ff
    		add	a, count
    		sub	a, #1
    		andn    a, #$1ff 	wcz  ' wz optional
    		tjnz    a, #sizeerror

Is this any good?
    		tjz	count, #nowrite_lut
    		mov	a, addr1
    		add	a, count
    		sub	a, limit	wcz	'nc if too big
    	if_nc	jmp	#sizeerror

'c, nz - opposite of what was wanted

limit		long	#512			'check value

Combine those two
    		tjz	count, #nowrite_lut
    		mov	a, addr1
    		and	a, #$1ff
    		add	a, count
    		sub	a, #$1ff 	wcz  ' wz optional
    if_nc_and_nz	jmp	a, #sizeerror

edited 2020-05-31 10:44
    Both @evanh and @TonyB_ almost get there but I need C=0 at the end when it falls through and continues. This would need another instruction to clear it. I was wondering if an alt instruction may help somehow or even reverse subtract? Or possibly a "tjns a, #sizeerror" based on evanh's approach?
    ALTI can do auto incrementing/decrementing so perhaps there's a combo here that can take care of the sub #1 at the same time???
  • Yeah I was hoping for something like that, or use addx or cmpsub somehow....too many choices. lol.

The original 7 instruction code I show just seems too inefficient. The original footprint I had in place only checked zero and a total 512 byte limit but no 512 byte boundary crossing was 5 instructions and I'm trying to not grow it much to extend to cases where any transfer crosses a 512 byte boundary is identified and rejected.
    edited 2020-05-31 11:00
    Bah! [deleted bad code]
    edited 2020-05-31 11:06
    I think that corrupts addr1 evanh or the register pointed to by addr1 perhaps. But I think alt something may help. We are on the right track.

I would quite like the "andn a, #$1ff wcz" at the end though because it leaves the flags in the right condition.

Update: there's also the FLES / FLE / FGE/ FGES stuff too. That might be something useful too.
    edited 2020-05-31 11:08
    How about
    		tjz	count, #nowrite_lut
    		mov	a, addr1
    		and	a, #$1ff
    		sub	a, #$1ff
    		add	a, count 	wcz
    if_c_or_z	jmp	#sizeerror

• Doesn't leave z=1 at the end.
    Arg! I thought you only wanted C==0
    What about "a" value. That's out by one as well. Does that matter?
  • I wish. LOL. The andn a, #$1ff wcz is good because it does multiple things in one go. I just reckon the above code could be 6 (or maybe even 5) instructions if I find the right magic sequence. 7 just feels too much. If I could get the S field in a single instruction (title of this thread) I'd be happy. Maybe alts can be used.

@evanh. a is just a free temp register so it can be left in any state.
    ALTS doesn't save any space, and ALTD and ALTR can only be used for indirection, sadly. Same story for ALTI: D and R fields are indirection only and S field is no space gain, afaics.

• I was also looking at encod to see if the top bit is greater than 9 after addition, but it doesn't save against the andn a, #$1ff thing. I wonder if bit 9 of addr1 can be tested and xor'd with its original value somehow to see if it changes after adding count-1.
    Actually, I have managed to do something with ALTS, namely incorporate the -1. This has an odd wrap around effect but maybe that's okay?
    		tjz	count, #nowrite_lut
    		alts	addr1, #$1ff
    		mov	a, #0-0
    		add	a, count
                    tjnz    a, #sizeerror

• I think you might have it evanh! That wrap effect may be okay. I need to check.
    edited 2020-05-31 12:51
    Mov a, addr1
    And a, #$1ff
    Add a,count
    CMP a, #$201 or cmpr if you need the opposite c.

This saves the sub.
    Needs ##$201 :(

edited 2020-05-31 12:59
    The cmp a, #$201 doesn't fit within the 9 bit S field of the instruction. You'd need another register to hold $201. No space saved vs 7 instructions. So far evanh's solution seems the best, but I wonder if it can be reduced to 5? There's a challenge.
    Well, you can't eliminate the MOV. The ALTS absolutely needs it. That's why I'd initially said ALTS doesn't save space.
  • Yeah, I think this is as good as it gets. A great result as we can now test for flash line buffer write overruns with only one added instruction compared to what I had before. I'm going to use this evanh.
    cool
  • evanh wrote: »
    Actually, I have managed to do something with ALTS, namely incorporate the -1. This has an odd wrap around effect but maybe that's okay?
    		tjz	count, #nowrite_lut
    		alts	addr1, #$1ff
    		mov	a, #0-0
    		add	a, count
                    tjnz    a, #sizeerror

sizeerror is probably close by, but one issue with TJxx D,#S is that cannot jump from anywhere in COG RAM to anywhere in LUT RAM and vice-versa. Alternative:
    		tjz	count, #nowrite_lut
    		alts	addr1, #$1ff
    		mov	a, #0-0		wc	' nc
    		add	a, count
    		andn    a, #$1ff   	wz	' z if OK
    	if_nz	jmp	#sizeerror

• Too funny. That is exactly what I had to do today. The tjnz didn't work out due to the LUTRAM jump but thankfully I already had Z set and could do this.
    edited 2020-07-01 07:13
    After running into a HyperFlash programming problem with burst writes I think this suggested code from the discussion with @TonyB_ and @evanh a month ago is broken unfortunately. Turns out I can't start on any 512 byte boundary in flash using it. Eg, if addr1 = 1024 and count was 2 it would fail, but it should be allowed. It should be such that it allows any count up to 512 in that case. I want it to abort out on count=0, as well as (count+(addr & $1ff))>512, and otherwise set Z=1, C=0 on success. I now need an alternative and I don't have any spare longs! Argh..
    		tjz	count, #nowrite_lut
    		alts	addr1, #$1ff
    		mov	a, #0-0		
    		add	a, count
    		andn    a, #$1ff   	wcz
    	if_nz	jmp	#sizeerror