Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Propeller Mini won't load OLED fonts to EEPROM — Parallax Forums

Propeller Mini won't load OLED fonts to EEPROM

I have the Color OLED Display Module that Parallax sells. I have a Propeller FLiP, and multiple Propeller Mini's (rev. A) with the Prop Plug. To be able to use different fonts on the OLED, you have to run the font loader program in the libraries of SimpleIDE. It loads font information into the upper space of the EEPROM on the Propeller board.

It has worked fine on the FLiP, but when I try to run it on the Propeller Mini's (tried all 3 I have), the terminal displays "Establishing i2c connection..." and gets stuck there.

Just received the Mini's this week, so they should be the ones that have 64KB EEPROMs, just like the FLiP, so all should have the space to work with.

Loading programs into the EEPROM and having them run at boot-up seems to work just fine on all boards.

--Brian

Comments

• Brian:
    what is the number on the EEPROM?
    Jim
  • Jim,

Tiny little SMT thing, but it has this:
    upper line: 412R8
    lower line: B925
  • I think the Propeller Mini doesn't have a pull up on the I2C clock. The EEPROM loader likely expects this pull-up. The EEPROM loader will need to be modified to drive the clock line or you'll need to add a pull-up on the clock line.
  • Bingo!

Thank you Duane. I changed the i2c_newbus drive parameter to a 1 instead of a 0, recompiled the library, and it works great. You were correct, the mini doesn't have a pullup on clock, but the FLiP does.

Many, MANY thanks to the people here that know so much about this.

--Brian
  • P.S.

To get the fonts to work in the display, I also had to go into the liboledc library, and change the i2c_newbus parameter that's in the oledc_init function.

Hope this helps someone else down the road.
  • BrianG69 wrote: »
    P.S.

To get the fonts to work in the display, I also had to go into the liboledc library, and change the i2c_newbus parameter that's in the oledc_init function.

Hope this helps someone else down the road.

BTW...Welcome to the forums and thank you for sharing the solution so it may help others.