Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Acrylic enclosures for the P2 EVAL (Rev B) - Available now — Parallax Forums

Acrylic enclosures for the P2 EVAL (Rev B) - Available now

W9GFOW9GFO Posts: 4,010
edited 2019-11-15 10:24 in Propeller 2
The P2EVAL Board (Rev B.) Enclosures are now available to order. They are very much the same as the original enclosures, the only differences are that the top acrylic piece has been changed to accommodate the new component layout of the Rev B board, and the prices are higher because shipping to USA is now included in the price.

https://www.etsy.com

The standard enclosure is 100mm x 100 mm x 35mm high.

The convertible version includes a standard enclosure plus the extra parts required to convert it to the fan version. You would need to supply your own 50mm x 10mm fan. No one should need a fan unless they intend to run it well beyond its intended limits.

You can choose the colors of the sides and bottom for the acrylic enclosures. Choices are clear, blue, and orange.

I have also added the option to purchase just the top piece. If you have the original enclosure you can use the new top piece to make it compatible with the new Rev B P2 Eval board.

2545 x 1747 - 7M
1588 x 1432 - 188K
800 x 600 - 868K
600 x 600 - 636K

Comments

• Thanks for doing this again Rich!
  • Great news! Have you adjusted the openings near the expansion headers so that the expansion cards won't have to be filed off to fit?
  • I think he includes a free nail file for that. :) JK
  • W9GFOW9GFO Posts: 4,010
    David Betz wrote: »
    Great news! Have you adjusted the openings near the expansion headers so that the expansion cards won't have to be filed off to fit?

No. The reason is that if I made a sharp interior corner to fit the expansion board then that would both weaken the structure and interrupt the chamfer. To make the chamfer look right (continuous) I would have to radius the corner which would then require even more removal of material and subsequent weakening.

To make the expansions boards fit properly it should only require a few strokes of a nail file or sandpaper to round off the corner.

• W9GFO wrote: »
    Great news! Have you adjusted the openings near the expansion headers so that the expansion cards won't have to be filed off to fit?

No. The reason is that if I made a sharp interior corner to fit the expansion board then that would both weaken the structure and interrupt the chamfer. To make the chamfer look right (continuous) I would have to radius the corner which would then require even more removal of material and subsequent weakening.

To make the expansions boards fit properly it should only require a few strokes of a nail file or sandpaper to round off the corner.
    Okay. I understand. Thanks for offering these! I'm going to put my order in ASAP. My P2 Eval v2 board is supposed to arrive tomorrow.

• Will the v2 board fit in the v1 case?
    Will the v2 board fit in the v1 case?

No, the Rev B board will not fit in the original enclosure - the cutouts are in different places. If there is some interest I could add the option to purchase just the top piece so that the old enclosure can be converted to work with the Rev B board.
  • I would be interested.
    I think I will change the fan version of the enclosure to not include the fan - instead it will be the standard version with the extra parts needed to convert it to a fan. The customer would need to supply their own fan. I only have one fan left and the ones I have been using are no longer available to order.

I understand that the Rev B chip runs significantly cooler than the first, and the first did not require cooling, so the fan version should be much less popular this time around. I still want to make it available for those that really want to use a fan, I hope that not including the fan is okay.

I will also add an option for just the top piece for those that have the original enclosures.
  • W9GFO wrote: »
    Will the v2 board fit in the v1 case?

No, the Rev B board will not fit in the original enclosure - the cutouts are in different places. If there is some interest I could add the option to purchase just the top piece so that the old enclosure can be converted to work with the Rev B board.
    A replacement top for the old enclosure would be great!

• O sh.. I wanted two with fans. For the coolness factor. But you are right they are not longer needed.

So up to order two new blue ones without fan.

Enjoy!

Mike
  • @W9GFO Hi,

Is it possible to buy the round plastic spacers? I've lost one that is used on the top side of an enclosure for the Rev. A board.

Kind regards, Samuel Lourenço
  • JRoarkJRoark Posts: 1,214
    edited 2019-11-14 17:21
    Wow! I'm impressed.

My acrylic P2 enclosure just arrived and got assembled. @W9GFO did a darned-Skippy excellent job on this and the result is a very high quality piece of kit. The attention to detail is evident... right down to the included "high-tab" jumpers (so you don't need tweezers to change jumpers). The 10 minutes it took to assemble it was reminicent of assembling something from Elecraft: everything fits, *exactly*, and if it doesn't then you know you've done something wrong.

If you have a P2 Eval board, you should seriously consider getting one.
  • samuell wrote: »
    @W9GFO Hi,

Is it possible to buy the round plastic spacers? I've lost one that is used on the top side of an enclosure for the Rev. A board.

Maybe an expired pen tube?
  • Publison wrote: »
    samuell wrote: »
    @W9GFO Hi,

Unfortunately, I can't cut that to the exact specification. For now, I have one of the screws fastened without a spacer.

Thanks @JRoark for the kind comments.

I have updated the first post, you can now get just the top piece. Use it to convert an original enclosure to fit the new P2 Eval board.

The fan version, now called "convertible", no longer includes a fan, instead it is a standard enclosure with the extra parts that you need to convert it to the fan version - you supply the fan.

The pictures are quite underwhelming. Sorry about that. When I get a Rev B board I will take some proper photos.
  • Hi @W9GFO,

Any chance of you selling spacers?

• I ordered the top plate. Thanks for offering these separately!
  • Hello @W9GFO

Waiting for mine. Hope it is delivered today. Can't wait!

Great job with these.

Thanks
  • samuell wrote: »
    Hi @W9GFO,

Check the Activity page:
    W9GFO
    Hi Sam, I can drop a couple of them in the mail for you. What name did you order under?

Rich H

I PM'd him your address so they may be on the way.
  • Just ordered mine, too!

I'm hoping to try out ersmith's Python this weekend. I've got to get up to speed with what's going on around here. . .too busy pushing stuff out the door to keep the business going and not making time to learn something new.

Ken Gracey
  • kwinnkwinn Posts: 8,697
    Publison wrote: »
    @W9GFO Hi,

Unfortunately, I can't cut that to the exact specification. For now, I have one of the screws fastened without a spacer.

Exact spec is not too hard to match. Cut the pen tube (using a metal hack saw blade) a bit long and use a file or sand paper on a flat surface to shorten it to spec. Used up many BIC pen tubes back in high school and uni to mount PCB's and other parts for my projects.
  • Publison wrote: »
    Hi @W9GFO,

Check the Activity page:
    W9GFO
    Hi Sam, I can drop a couple of them in the mail for you. What name did you order under?

Rich H

I PM'd him your address so they may be on the way.
    Thanks!

• How much difference in fMax is the version with the fan expected to make
    W9GFO wrote: »
    Thanks @JRoark for the kind comments.

I have updated the first post, you can now get just the top piece. Use it to convert an original enclosure to fit the new P2 Eval board.

The fan version, now called "convertible", no longer includes a fan, instead it is a standard enclosure with the extra parts that you need to convert it to the fan version - you supply the fan.

The pictures are quite underwhelming. Sorry about that. When I get a Rev B board I will take some proper photos.

I ordered the fan version yesterday (last one, I think)! Is that one not coming with a fan? If not, I'd like to change my order to just getting the replacement top piece for updating my current enclosure.
    edited 2019-11-15 22:41
    Seairth wrote: »
    I ordered the fan version yesterday (last one, I think)! Is that one not coming with a fan? If not, I'd like to change my order to just getting the replacement top piece for updating my current enclosure.

The one you ordered with the fan was the last one that included a fan. From now on, they won't include the fan. I can't get any more of those fans, and since I expected demand for the fan version to be very low I did not feel it made sense to try to find more of them. I am expecting that anyone that has determined that fan is needed is probably okay with sourcing their own.
  • JRoarkJRoark Posts: 1,214
    edited 2019-11-15 22:41
    I may have gotten the next-to-last fan enclosure, but dont think you “fanless folks” are missing out on anything. The Rev B chip runs barely warm to the touch even with 8 cores running at 250 mhz. I think the fan is mostly unnecessary unless you are just going gonzo on overclocking. If I had it to do over again, I’d definitely order the fanless version.

Confession: I havent even terminated the fan wires. Havent needed it.
    Yes, I want to make it clear that a fan is not in any way needed. Much in the same way that if you buy a Lamborghini you don't need to go and take it to a shop to get hopped up - yet some people do.
  • samuellsamuell Posts: 554
    edited 2019-11-16 01:46
    JRoark wrote: »
    I may have gotten the next-to-last fan enclosure, but dont think you “fanless folks” are missing out on anything. The Rev B chip runs barely warm to the touch even with 8 cores running at 250 mhz. I think the fan is mostly unnecessary unless you are just going gonzo on overclocking. If I had it to do over again, I’d definitely order the fanless version.

Confession: I havent even terminated the fan wires. Havent needed it.
    IMHO, not even the Rev. A board needs a fan, and it wouldn't make much of a difference even so. A fan would improve the performance only if it was blowing to an heatsink directly attached to the die. The underside of a PCB doesn't have much surface area. And there is also the thermal conductivity factor of the PCB itself, which is not great.

• So I got my two enclosures, and like the first one I got for the Rev A they fit perfectly.

The most complicated thing is to get that damned protective film of the parts. After that the assembly is a breeze.

Thank You for doing that @W9GFO, very appreciated,

Mike
  • On getting the protective film off: I used a piece of acrylic package tape. Put it on the piece, burnish it down around the edges with a dull pencil, then peel back at a sharp angle. Works nicely and leaves the plastic clean. Having the pieces slightly warm helps too.