Robot in Target Commercial - Mystery SOLVED - Thanks to JonnyMac

WhitWhit Posts: 4,083
edited 2019-11-06 - 03:43:50 in Robotics
Anybody know what kind of bot is shown in this Target Commercial - see it about the 52-second mark. Seem to be a single-wheeled balancing bot with some sort of distance sensor.

https://ispot.tv/a/o93m

Here is the spot. Any info? And here is a screen capture...

Capture%20Bot.JPG
Whit+

"We keep moving forward, opening new doors, and doing new things, because we're curious and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths." - Walt Disney
1078 x 604 - 58K

Comments

• Wow, that was a really brief appearance, but nonetheless intriguing -- assuming it wasn't just CGI.

-Phil
    “Perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away. -Antoine de Saint-Exupery
  • WhitWhit Posts: 4,083
    edited 2019-11-06 - 03:21:09
    @Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) - I wonder if it is part of some sort of kit...
    Whit+

"We keep moving forward, opening new doors, and doing new things, because we're curious and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths." - Walt Disney
  • JonnyMacJonnyMac Posts: 6,271
    edited 2019-11-06 - 03:23:21
    That robot is a new character in the Star Wars universe. Our friend, Rick Galinson (Propeller-powered mini gun), recently built one to match the [upcoming] movie -- that could be it. It does not use a Propeller. Due to time constraints, he used an OTS balancing robot kit (electronics, Atmel-base). The mechanics were fabricated from scratch (machined and 3d printed).
    Jon McPhalen
    Hollywood, CA
    It's Jon or JonnyMac -- please do not call me Jonny.
    edited 2019-11-06 - 03:31:22
    1353 x 864 - 110K
    Whit+

• Mystery solved -- it's a toy!
    Jon McPhalen
    Hollywood, CA
    edited 2019-11-06 - 03:42:17
    Pretty cool. Check out the 3d model too at the link above.

And look at the following info. Pretty neat for the price...

Highlights.JPG

Description.JPG
    834 x 632 - 128K
    781 x 417 - 80K
    Whit+

• I checked in with Rick. The unit he built is for live performances. It is controlled from a standard RC transmitter.
    Jon McPhalen
    Hollywood, CA
  • ercoerco Posts: 19,546
    Nice! It's by Hasbro. Jump to 1:00 in the video at https://video.disney.com/watch/a-visit-to-hasbro-galactic-builders-5937708e901a5ebd6b4f2a72

Engineer Melissa certainly belongs in your "Women in Robotics" thread, Whit!
    "When you make a thing, a thing that is new, it is so complicated making it that it is bound to be ugly. But those that make it after you, they don’t have to worry about making it. And they can make it pretty, and so everybody can like it when others make it after you."

- Pablo Picasso
  • erco wrote: »
    Nice! It's by Hasbro. Jump to 1:00 in the video at https://video.disney.com/watch/a-visit-to-hasbro-galactic-builders-5937708e901a5ebd6b4f2a72

Thumbs up on that video.

@erco - GREAT video and I completely agree about Melissa!

Whit+

• Hi
    Seems that link erco provided ends up at uk Disney shop!! from here in the uk.
    Dave
    @tritonium : See if this Youtube video works across the pond. Jump to 1:00. Cheers.

"When you make a thing, a thing that is new, it is so complicated making it that it is bound to be ugly. But those that make it after you, they don’t have to worry about making it. And they can make it pretty, and so everybody can like it when others make it after you."

- Pablo Picasso
    edited 2019-11-07 - 18:37:53
    It's interesting that this bot uses static balance. Big internal weight instead of gyros & acceleIerometer required for an inverted pendulum. It's similar to a driveable gerbil ball I made years ago.

- Pablo Picasso
  • erco,
    What makes you think the D-O bot above is using static balance? They specifically said it uses sensor to balance.
    Did I miss something?
  • Hey erco
    That link works great.
    Lucky kids- what an opportunity.
    Nice to see such encouragement from experts to novices.
    Thanks

oh by the way did you say sphero was controlled by infra red?- surprised enough ir got through the plastic to the sensor consistently.
    Been going to build one for a long time- like many things- highest priority is a micro mouse maze solver.
    Been going to do that since the eighties!!!
    Dave
    DOH, Roy, I think you're right, I spoke too soon. I was watching the disassembled bot and it looked they placed the batteries and a chunk of stuff down low. Bad assumption on my part, it does appear to be doing dynamic balancing upon closer look.

- Pablo Picasso
  • tritonium wrote: »
    oh by the way did you say sphero was controlled by infra red?

My Sphero uses Bluetooth Low Energy for control and not IR.

My ball was IR, Sphero was BTLE.

- Pablo Picasso
    It's interesting that this bot uses static balance. Big internal weight instead of gyros & accelerometer required for an inverted pendulum. It's similar to a driveable gerbil ball I made years ago.

@erco - I had forgotten about this project. Ingenious!
    Whit+