Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
KiCad Question — Parallax Forums

KiCad Question

This is my first experience with pcb design software. I started learning KiCad because it's tedious to keep wiring up Propeller circuits on perf board. I'll use perf board only for one-off circuits.
One of the things I want is the option to power it from a barrel jack or a male header. The power supply looks correct in the schematic view but the footprint is incorrect: The screw terminal polarity is reversed. I think I can rotate the schematic symbol to put pin #1 on top but I really would appreciate a second pair of eyes.
I have not tried to create a custom footprint yet but I will before I'm done.
1262 x 339 - 28K
802 x 426 - 30K
765 x 709 - 63K

Comments

• jmgjmg Posts: 15,140
    edited 2019-03-18 20:06
    lardom wrote: »
    .... The power supply looks correct in the schematic view but the footprint is incorrect: The screw terminal polarity is reversed. I think I can rotate the schematic symbol to put pin #1 on top but I really would appreciate a second pair of eyes.
    I have not tried to create a custom footprint yet but I will before I'm done.
    I'm not quite following the issue ?
    The SCH and PCB look to match, with Pin1 = GND ?
    If you want Pin1 = 9V for some reason, yes, swap in SCH and reimport net will swap in PCB.

TO220 Regulators 'standing up' are prone to being bent, and have only a finite number of bends life...
    Why not use a SMD package like TO252 or SOT223 ?
  • jmg, SOT223 makes sense. I'll use those instead of TO 220. I was thinking only through-hole parts but I can solder SOT223 with a fine tip.
    I'm at the point where I feel like I'm missing a lot of obvious stuff. I just heard "rats nest" a few days ago. I appreciate your help. Thanks.
  • For anyone interested in learning KiCad:

Book review: KiCad Like a Pro

https://www.elektormagazine.com/news/book-review-kicad-like-a-pro
  • Yes I bought that book from Elektor and confirm that its an excellent resource.

The book goes a lot further than I thought it might, such as ordering from Oshpark / PCBway, using Github etc. As well as three or four useful projects from end to end.

All the screenshots throughout the book are in full color.

• I used the videos at Digkey. They help me easily get off the ground and since then I have built several boards with little problems. I have even designed my own footprints for the Prop Mini.

Mike