Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
New TV woes with PROP 1 — Parallax Forums

New TV woes with PROP 1

I upgraded to a larger flat screen TV to use with my Quickstart board but get only garbage. Can faintly see what is supposed to be there but lots of diagonal static. I have it hooked to a RCA video jack and correct input selected on TV. Tried switching back to old TV and works fine. I've looked at all the menu options on the TV but still pulling hair! What might I look for"
Thanks
Aaron

Comments

• Are you providing an NTSC signal from the Prop? What resistors are you using in your output circuit? What make and model is your TV?

-Phil
  • RaymanRayman Posts: 13,900
    Maybe it's actually the component input instead of AV? Maybe set to PAL instead of NTSC?
  • The TV is a Bravia KDL-40V2500. The resisters are 1.2k, 560 and 270. Using TV_TEXT object. Tried all video input jacks on TV (3). It works on another flat screen that I have.
  • RaymanRayman Posts: 13,900
    edited 2019-02-22 00:28
    If those 3 video jacks are colored green, red, blue then it's component input, not NTSC...
    NTSC jacks are usually yellow...
  • This is a better resistor network, since it provides video output at the correct voltage and impedance:

50646.gif

But maybe the TV's video input is not terminated. If that's the case, try adding a 75-ohm resistor from the resistor network's common node to ground.

-Phil
  • Ground issues between the prop and the TV?
    Try to measure the (AC-) voltage between prop GND and TV without the video cable plugged in.
  • Phil
    I'm assuming that in your schematic the base pin is on bottom (866).That's how I did it on a breadboard for temporary. But! those are not standard resistors so I made some series/parallels. It works perfect now, very stable display!
    Thanks to all who replied
    Aaron
  • You're right: those resistor values are not standard for 5% resistors, but for 1% resistors. 'Glad you got it working!

-Phil
  • Surface mount resistors are mainly 1% or better these days, so yes its standard values!