Breakouts for P2 Eval

13»

Comments

• David Betz wrote: »
    David Betz wrote: »
    David Betz wrote: »
    Dave Hein wrote: »
    Got it. Thanks!
    Very cool! My VGA monitor is now showing Ray's bird picture. Has anyone done any work to allow text to display on a VGA monitor?
    Both the 8bpp and the 16bpp code works although both have some garbage below the image. Is that expected?
    Looks like the garbage at the bottom of both images was due to a loadp2 problem. I had an ancient version and when I updated the problem went away. However, I had to load at 115200 baud because 921600 no longer worked.

• roglohrogloh Posts: 5,122
    edited 2019-02-07 01:38
    My screen image using the 8bpp variant of this demo had some intermittent shimmer on the right pixel edge and remains cyclic through the picture - Dell 2405FPW monitor in VGA mode. P2ES-EVAL A/V accessory on P0-7 using Chip's code as is with his PLL+clock division settings. I guess that is what other people also have been seeing or do I have a bad setup? P2 feels warm but not hot.

Same monitor shimmer for 16 bit mode as well.
  • rogloh wrote: »
    My screen image using the 8bpp variant of this demo had some intermittent shimmer on the right pixel edge and remains cyclic through the picture - Dell 2405FPW monitor in VGA mode. P2ES-EVAL A/V accessory on P0-7 using Chip's code as is with his PLL+clock division settings. I guess that is what other people also have been seeing or do I have a bad setup? P2 feels warm but not hot.

Same monitor shimmer for 16 bit mode as well.
    I don't see any shimmer but I'm using Rayman's breakout. My P2 chip is a bit warm as well. Is it dangerous to leave this running for a long period of time?
  • roglohrogloh Posts: 5,122
    edited 2019-02-07 01:59
    Doubt it. Shimmer is pretty bad initially on my CRT as well as quite noticeable pixel oscillation on the edges of the five parrots in 16 bit mode, but it seems to settle down a bit on the edges shortly afterwards, though the screen does still shimmer sort of making it look like the shadow mask is vibrating at some frequency. I'm not even cooking this board like Tubular and I were doing a couple of weeks back with a light when we photographed it. This is room temp operation @24C. Perhaps this board is more sensitive at room temp and improves once it "warms up", unlike the others we needed to heat up first to cause the problem...? Or are the default PLL settings in this code known to be non-ideal?
  • RaymanRayman Posts: 13,805
    That happened to me on Mac on first load. Full image on second try...
  • Rayman wrote: »
    That happened to me on Mac on first load. Full image on second try...
    Do you see any shimmer? Or is this just an issue with the Parallax VGA breakout?

• Cluso99Cluso99 Posts: 18,066
    In my VGA 1920x1080 I have some code that places characters on the screen. See the next to last code as the last code removes the text.
  • Cluso99 wrote: »
    In my VGA 1920x1080 I have some code that places characters on the screen. See the next to last code as the last code removes the text.
    Where can I find that code? I looked and found the file LA_VGA_012_01.spin but it seems to only display even digits.
    A slightly older version displays lines of text and includes a full font.
    Its not a terminal emulation. It just places strings of fixed charscters on the screen.
  • David BetzDavid Betz Posts: 14,511
    edited 2019-02-07 02:54
    Cluso99 wrote: »
    A slightly older version displays lines of text and includes a full font.
    Its not a terminal emulation. It just places strings of fixed charscters on the screen.
    Just displaying lines of text is fine. I can make the terminal emulator part myself. I'll have to go searching for the older version. Thanks,

Edit: Found it. I've attached it here in case anyone else is looking for it.

edited 2019-02-07 03:06
    You will see that i change the background and foreground colors per group of lines. I am using 1 bit per pixel to select either foreground or background color. The font is a rehash of hippy’s P1 font that i have used often.
    There is a full 256 font in my 1pin tv driver in the obex iirc.
  • Just changed the P2ES-EVAL VIO jumper position for pins 0-7 where I have this A/V board fitted and this overall screen shimmer effect I have is gone! So one part of it must have been LDO vs switcher related.
  • TubularTubular Posts: 4,620
    edited 2019-02-07 09:36
    Ah yes good catch. Also the PLL gets its power from V2831, so you should also change this to LDO too (with power off)