Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
WX ESP8266 and UDP Packets for Wake On Lan — Parallax Forums

WX ESP8266 and UDP Packets for Wake On Lan

ShawnaShawna Posts: 508
edited 2018-12-14 20:49 in Propeller 1
Does the "libwifi" wx library support sending out UDP packets "messages".

I am interested in sending out Wake On Lan commands with the WX module. I can't seem to find any info on UDP and the WX. The only thing I have found is that the module uses UDP when programming a propeller via a wireless connection.

Thanks
Shawn

Comments

• If you search the Parallax-ESP folder with Recoll, you will find..
    Some files mention UDP, but...

A searchengine would be more helpful here.
    UDP magic packet esp8266 and see how others do it.
    https://www.startpage.com/do/dsearch?query=UDP+magic+packet+esp8266&cat=web&pl=ext-ff&language=english

Heres a sketch example on how someone did it.
    https://github.com/koenieee/WakeOnLan-ESP8266/blob/master/examples/WakeOnLan-ESP8266/WakeOnLan-ESP8266.ino

Now you are in "hack it together, git it a try, does it work, learn the language, know the device" territory.
    Thats the problem with getting into something fast, you reach a point where many others have not.
  • Clock Loop wrote: »
    Now you are in "hack it together, git it a try, does it work, learn the language, know the device" territory.
    Thats the problem with getting into something fast, you reach a point where many others have not.

Yeah, I am not that advanced yet!

I did find a program like Recoll called File Locator. It seems to do a pretty good job.

One of the links above has www.startpage.com in it. I have been playing around with that also.

Back to the UDP and Magic Packet.

A couple of months ago I dug out the old wiznet5200 board. I managed to get a UDP server running on it, that can send out WOL Magic Packets.

The way it works is when it receives an inbound UDP packet with a specific keyword, it will then transmit out a UDP Magic packet to wake up a specific computer. It works very well.

The problem was that I could not find an easy way to send the request to the Wiznet Server. I found a UDP app for my phone, but it doesn't allow DNS names and I don't have a static IP address from my ISP.

So my idea was to build a small web interface with an HTML page that had some buttons on it. Each button would represent a computer that I wanted to wake up. When I click on one, it will send out a magic packet.

I thought maybe it would be easier to do this with the WX module rather than the Wiznet module.

Any hows............. after hitting a learning curb with the WX module, I went back to the Wiznet. I now have TCP and UDP running on it. The TCP is serving up html files and the UDP can send out Magic packets. I think all I have left is parsing the data from the buttons on a html page to fire off the Magic packet transmission.

I really like the WX module, and I am not done with it, but its nice to put some of my old hardware to use. I have an old spinneret that I may try to move it too, once I have everything working on the Wiznet.

• I have a weather station on my roof that wakes up every minute and sends a broadcast UDP packet that I have a webserver listening for. When it receives it it records the weather data in the UDP packet that I can display on a web page.

This is not hard to setup but I used a Xbee which was harder to do than using an ESP8266 unit although the Xbee did not require any software programming to get it to work.

Mike