Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Propeller Mini with Bluetooth or Wifi module, is it possible? — Parallax Forums

Propeller Mini with Bluetooth or Wifi module, is it possible?

Hey all,

I'm super new to all this and am looking at a hypothetical.

Basically what I would like is to be able to turn multiple functions On/Off (A servo and group of LEDs) and control the intensity of the LEDs.

I have a Propeller Mini(PM) and am wondering if:

1) Is it possible to connect the PM to either a Bluetooth or Wifi module?
2) If so, is it possible to control said module from an iPhone or iPad? AND
3) Is there an application that will allow continuous control (without having to compile the EEPROM every time)?

I do have a touch screen PC that I could use in any case, but would prefer the iPad or iPhone option. I saw a thread about an Android app and Joystick configuration for a BoeBot, but I doubt that would work for my intended purposes.

TIA!!

Comments

• I have a Propeller Mini(PM) and am wondering if:

1) Is it possible to connect the PM to either a Bluetooth or Wifi module?
    2) If so, is it possible to control said module from an iPhone or iPad? AND
    3) Is there an application that will allow continuous control (without having to compile the EEPROM every time)?

Welcome to the forum!

You can connect the PM to almost any type of device - ESP8266 for Wifi, for example. All you need to do is use serial communications between the devices and make sure that your voltage levels are proper (3.3v max). It is possible to use higher input voltages but if you're new to the Propeller I'd stick with 3.3v.

It should be possible to control the module from any Bluetooth or Wifi device. You'll connect your controlling device to the wireless device and then have the wireless device send requests (and listen for responses) from the PM.

Regarding a application that will allow continuous control, you can load the PM's ram with code without having to update the EEPROM. Of course, you'll lose the code if you reset or lose power.

Walter

• Yes, that works quite well. You can remote program the unit without connecting a wire.

The propeller mini needs a prop plug to program it or you can use the WiFi module and connect that to it an allow remote programming. Look ma no prop plug.

Mike
    2560 x 1440 - 1M